Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What type of scope should I get? >

What type of scope should I get?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What type of scope should I get?

Old 12-30-2007, 04:43 PM

Default What type of scope should I get?

I have a dilemma guys. I am getting a Savage 16FSS in a few weeks (hopefully) and need a scope for it. I sold my 6.5-20X44 Alaskan Guide scope with my 17HMR.

My problem is what TYPE of scope do I want to get. Not what brand or model but the type of scope. I don't know if I want a high powered target/varmint scope with parallax adjustment or just a standard variable fixed parallax scope.

My reasoning is that if I went with a standard scope like say a variable 10X scope or something over a high powered A/O scope I could possibly get a better scope for the same money. I'm looking at spending $300 ish on the scope alone.

I will probably use it mostly for 100-200 yard informal target shooting, Woodchuck, crows and maybe some coyote. There is a remote possibility I could take it to upper Michigan and hunt deer with it. That is pretty slim though. And I could honestly use either type of scope for that given the size of the target.

My biggest question if anyone knows is how much parallax error is there in a standard scope. Like say a 10 power scope with the parallax set to 100 yards. How far could it be off at 200 or 300 yards? If it's only an inch or less I am not worried about it, but if it is more like 3-4 inches or more than that it would be quite a bit for smaller things like a crow or woodchuck. I really don't see myself shooting 300 yards, but you never know. Realistically 200 yards is a long shot for me, and that is off from a bench at a paper target.

I did some scope shopping today, but really didn't accomplish much. I went to Cabela's but it was really crowded. Sunday before a holiday, duh. I didn't even bother messing with taking a number and looking through any because there were just too many people to do everything I wanted to do. I went to Gander mountain and looked at a few. I looked at some standard 3-9 scopes like the Bushnell elites, burris and nikons. I also looked at a decent Mueller Tactical scope for $250. It wasn't the best scope I have looked through, but I have got to admit it was pretty nice for the money and features.

And it has to be retail local. I don't want to mess with getting anything on the internet. I will not buy optics without looking through them first, and besides I don't like buying over the internet anyway. So I will get it at Cabela's, Gander Mountain or a local gun dealer.

So could I get away with a standard hunting scope on a varmint rig, or should I go with a higher power adjustable parallax scope? Plus if I get a standard scope it will be easier to find a silver one to match the stainless gun.

I'm either getting Leupold mounts and rings or Warn quick detach rings with weaver bases.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Paul
Old 12-30-2007, 06:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What type of scope should I get?

When I bought my Ruger M-77 .243 in 1980, I put a Bushnell ScopeChief 3x9x40 scope on it, I lived in Virginia at the time and I used it for deer and turkey in the fall and crows and groundhogs in the summer...About 6 years ago I replaced the Bushnell with a Leupold and stayed with a 3x9x40...I've moved back to my native Carolina and still use it for deer, crows, groundhogs and now, coyotes as well...I have shot several groups at 200 yards that measure under an inch and a half...You don't need high power to shoot small groups and you can have too much especially in hunting condidtions...I don't have any problem killing groundhogs out to 250-300 yards with the scope set on 9 power...

Most big game scopes are set parallex free at 150 yards...I did have my Leupold Compact that I have on my .22 set to 75 yards, but when I called Leupold and asked about parallex, they said the maximum effect at 100 yards was about 1/4 inch...
Old 12-30-2007, 10:31 PM

okay I did not read all of that but here is my suggestion. I compared a nikon 3-9x40 matte black to a leapold 3-9x40 matte black. the nikon was just as clear, at high power and low while it was far cheaper than the leapold. so all my rifles get nikons now. I also had the simmons, red head, bass pro allways save brand rifle scopes (in a package deal thingy) and that thing was utter junk compared to how the Nikon's treated me.
So I am sold on the nikon's, best all around bang for the buck!

Old 12-31-2007, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40or a Leupold VXI 4-12x40are the only two scopes I ever think of for any of my rifles, and I like a standard duplex, I don't like my scopes giving me too much info with the current ballistic coefficient reticles.

The clarity of either scope I listed is exceptional and noticable in a side by side comparison to any of my old Bushnells, Tasco's, or Simmon's.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:07 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

Zzzzzz.... and the cartridge the new rifle is chambered for.....

Hence perhaps a difference in the recommendation.... is it another .17?
Old 12-31-2007, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: EKM

Zzzzzz.... and the cartridge the new rifle is chambered for.....

Hence perhaps a difference in the recommendation.... another .17?

Is it a 17? In that case I change my recommendation, get a BSA Platinum 6-24 x 44, it works great on my little pea shooter. Clarity sucks, but with that magnification it doesn't really matter since I consider it a ~100 yard shooter.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I am getting a Savage 16FSS in a few weeks

I will probably use it mostly for 100-200 yard informal target shooting, Woodchuck, crows and maybe some coyote. There is a remote possibility I could take it to upper Michigan and hunt deer with it. That is pretty slim though. And I could honestly use either type of scope for that given the size of the target.
I'm sorry guys, I thought I mentioned the caliber, it's a .243 stainless model. A 16FSS is the short action stainless weather warrior series for Savage. I'm a little crazy, but I'm not gonna do 200 yard target shooting, woodchucks coyotes and deer with a 17HMR.

After looking at the Cabela's site for a while last night I decided to go back and look at some to see what I thought. I was particularly interested in the 30mm Alaskan Guide models, they had one that was similar to what I had, and it listed for 300 bucks. Plus it came with free Leupold 30mm rings. Well after driving down there, taking a number and waiting for 45 minutes to be helped I discovered they don't even have them in the store. They really didn't have much I was interested in to be honest. And I had PLENTY of time too look at what was in the display cases.

I was hoping they had other scopes and they just didn't put them all out for display. The guy said no, pretty much everything they had was on display. And I noticed half of those were not even in the right spots when I was looking[]. I become less impressed with Cabela's every year.

I did look through a couple 3-9 and 10 power scopes with fixed parallax and I could see some noticeable cross hair shift at longer distances. I probably could have made it work, but decided against it.

I ended up getting the Mueller Tactical scope at Gander Mountain, they even gave me a 10% discount so I got it for $225 dollars. 4-16X50 with Adjustable Objective and an illuminated etched mil dot reticle. I found some decent reviews of it, and no bad ones so I decided to give it a try. I got it home and adjusted it and did some quick tests with it and it seems about as good as the the scope I used to have.

And oddly enough it looks a LOT like it as well. The tube design is the same, the turrets look the same, the power ring looks the same, the coatings are the same color, the scope caps are the same and the lettering and layout looks the same. HMMMM, sort of makes you wonder doesn't it.

I also got a one piece Leupold base and some high rings. Everything came to 300 bucks and some change.

I will let you guys no more when I get the gun and get the scope mounted.

Paul
Old 01-02-2008, 03:53 PM

I have bought a couple of Weaver Classics in 4-16 with AO for well under $300. Fantastic clarity, lifetime warranty, variety of reticles available, no complaints. Check them out at natchezss.com. Other dealers carry them for similar prices.

I own several Leupold and Nikon scopes; the Weaver scopes are definitely camparable quality and less money with same warranty.