HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What type of scope should I get?
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2007, 02:28 PM
Paul L Mohr

Default RE: What type of scope should I get?

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I am getting a Savage 16FSS in a few weeks

I will probably use it mostly for 100-200 yard informal target shooting, Woodchuck, crows and maybe some coyote. There is a remote possibility I could take it to upper Michigan and hunt deer with it. That is pretty slim though. And I could honestly use either type of scope for that given the size of the target.
I'm sorry guys, I thought I mentioned the caliber, it's a .243 stainless model. A 16FSS is the short action stainless weather warrior series for Savage. I'm a little crazy, but I'm not gonna do 200 yard target shooting, woodchucks coyotes and deer with a 17HMR.

After looking at the Cabela's site for a while last night I decided to go back and look at some to see what I thought. I was particularly interested in the 30mm Alaskan Guide models, they had one that was similar to what I had, and it listed for 300 bucks. Plus it came with free Leupold 30mm rings. Well after driving down there, taking a number and waiting for 45 minutes to be helped I discovered they don't even have them in the store. They really didn't have much I was interested in to be honest. And I had PLENTY of time too look at what was in the display cases.

I was hoping they had other scopes and they just didn't put them all out for display. The guy said no, pretty much everything they had was on display. And I noticed half of those were not even in the right spots when I was looking[]. I become less impressed with Cabela's every year.

I did look through a couple 3-9 and 10 power scopes with fixed parallax and I could see some noticeable cross hair shift at longer distances. I probably could have made it work, but decided against it.

I ended up getting the Mueller Tactical scope at Gander Mountain, they even gave me a 10% discount so I got it for $225 dollars. 4-16X50 with Adjustable Objective and an illuminated etched mil dot reticle. I found some decent reviews of it, and no bad ones so I decided to give it a try. I got it home and adjusted it and did some quick tests with it and it seems about as good as the the scope I used to have.

And oddly enough it looks a LOT like it as well. The tube design is the same, the turrets look the same, the power ring looks the same, the coatings are the same color, the scope caps are the same and the lettering and layout looks the same. HMMMM, sort of makes you wonder doesn't it.

I also got a one piece Leupold base and some high rings. Everything came to 300 bucks and some change.

I will let you guys no more when I get the gun and get the scope mounted.

Paul