Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Scope,Rings and Bases suggestions >

Scope,Rings and Bases suggestions

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scope,Rings and Bases suggestions

Old 12-25-2007, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scope,Rings and Bases suggestions

What's up guy's, Fella came by the house yesterday in a bind for Christmas. So I wound up with a Browning Grade II BAR in 30-06(I think it is a grade II not a safari but does have light engraving on the receiver with an Elk on one side and a pronghorn on the other, no gold trigger,either way I didn't get hurt for $400).It does not have any mounts or rings. Looking for your input on what power scope ,Obj. dia.,My first thoughts are Leupold one piece with standard rings or dual dovetails if they make the one piece for them. Probably don't need to go over 9X or 10X since I would notcall this a "long range "setup. Might not ever use it but I want it to be ready if I do. What do y'all think?Thanks in advance ......SWAMP (makes a lot of difference when you forget to put not in the thread...........LOL)
Old 12-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Scope,Rings and Bases suggestions

Your BAR may prove accurate enough for long-range use, but many aren't. My reaction to the idea of a 9X or 10X scope on such a rifle was " the '06 is not a varmint cartridge". A Leupold 2X-7X would be quite satisfactory on that rifle................
Old 12-25-2007, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Ridge,I like that 2.5 X 8 Vari X III just checked it out on Midway.eldeguello sorry about the post ,I meant to say "not a long range rig".I can just usually get a 3x9 or 3.5x10.at the shop here Quicker than I can order.

BTW was trying to date the rifle .Went to the Browning site I can't quite match up the codes.I have 5 numbers before the letter "M" then 2 more numbers .Only has 1 letter?
Old 12-25-2007, 12:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Zeiss conquest 3-9x40 www.theopticzone.com Vari x III is not made any longer..doesn't matter the Zeiss is heads above it anyway and on a rifle where no bolt is being manipulated what is the difference?

Your BAR may prove accurate enough for long-range use, but many aren't. My reaction to the idea of a 9X or 10X scope on such a rifle was " the '06 is not a varmint cartridge". A Leupold 2X-7X would be quite satisfactory on that rifle................
Wow I guess I better let the dead deer that I have killed with BAR's at all distances know they are alive.