Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Scope Rings/Bases... What brand is better? >

Scope Rings/Bases... What brand is better?

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Scope Rings/Bases... What brand is better?

Old 02-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default Scope Rings/Bases... What brand is better?

For a (Remington 700) set ofbases and rings....Is there a "better" brand? Is Leupold fine, or is Talley, Warne, Weaver, etc. better for any other reason?

Also, how do you know if the "rise" should be low, medium, or high? Is it just personal preference? The scope is a Zeiss Conquest 3x9.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Scope Rings/Bases... What brand is better?

I think it is personal preference. I like Warne bases and rings. To find out what height rings it would be best to know what diameter objective lense is on the scope.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have Med Leupold Double Dovetails on my 700 bdl for my 3.5x10x44mm conquest

I have Med Leupold Dovetails for my 3x9x40mm conqueston my 700 SPS ( already had the rings)

I have Med Warne QR's on my Savage 10MLII for my 3.5x10x44mm

Like mentioned objective size is main criteria, however bolt clearence of the eye piece can be a factor. Go to the websites and check their mount selectors.

Both have been rock solid mounting systems IME. The Leupold is a cleaner design the Warne Maximas have a tatical look, both are appealing to my eye but more imprtantly both have proved to be reliable & durable.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like Talley's and Warne both. If you want to get radical. look at Conetrol's.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like Talley's and Warne both. If you want to get radical. look at Conetrol's
+1 I really like Conetrol rings they are really a superior design to everything else out there. Gentry rings and bases are pretty sweet as well.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

I use the Leupold QR on my muzzleloader.
If you go with a quick release system, it's worth the piece of mind to invest in a bore sighter to double check your zero.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:38 PM

I have used a few different brands and the one I have found to like best are the Quick Detatch Leupolds. When installed properly, it is really nice to be able to swap out scopes and not lose the zero on the rifle.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

Warne base withBurris Signature Series rings. The Signature Series have a plastic insert that will help with the allignment of the scope in the rings. It also will not let a marks on your scope.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:02 AM
Typical Buck

Best: Badger, Seekins, TPS, Farrell, EGW, US Optics

Good: Burris, Leupold, Warne, Talley

Good is generally best for hunting, because heavy costs like ~$200 for rings and bases and there is a weight penalty also. A "good" mount can usually be assembled for under $100.

Any free to $50ish mount should really be questioned. Sure, if a bent mount costs you only a half day of shooting/hunting, then fine, but if it kills the trip of a lifetime, a $150 mount is cheap insurance.

BTW. . I couldn't ask for more than my TPS mount gives me. Strong. Holds high torque. No sharp edges or burrs to catch. No need to lap.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Best: Badger, Seekins, TPS, Farrell, EGW, US Optics

Good: Burris, Leupold, Warne, Talley

Good is generally best for hunting, because heavy costs like ~$200 for rings and bases and there is a weight penalty also. A "good" mount can usually be assembled for under $100.

The Best you have mentioned are for tactical purposes .. no one would put that type of setup on a hunting rifle, unncessary weight, bulk whatever and brings nothing to the table with a lightweight rifle scope which may weigh slightly more then the rings and bases you have described.

The Good you have mentioned why are you lumping Warne,Leupold and Burris along with Talley ?
Talley,Conetrol,S&K are the best hunting rings made period used on the finest hunting rifles.
Warne,Leupold and Burris are medium quality mounts. Warnes used to be machined steel but now are made with a MIM process, Leupold rings rust at the sight of water and Burris makes their rings out of the cheapest possible metal they can find. That has been my experience and I have owned every brand of these rings and used them on a lot of different rifles.

Any free to $50ish mount should really be questioned. Sure, if a bent mount costs you only a half day of shooting/hunting, then fine, but if it kills the trip of a lifetime, a $150 mount is cheap insurance.

So talley lightweights the same rings designed by Melvin Forbes should be questioned. They are right at 40 dollars.

Quick Reply: Scope Rings/Bases... What brand is better?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.