Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Handgunners check in >

Handgunners check in

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Handgunners check in

Old 01-30-2003, 12:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Handgunners check in

I do a lot of handgun shooting and use them to hunt as well. I have taken several deer with the 44 mag both in revolver and TC contender. I carry a 4" 357 mag as a carry gun until I get a new 1911 45 auto. I have never been without some sort of 357 Mag but I shoot mostly 38 specials in them. For defense loads I carry mid-range 357 loads just a hair hotter than 38+P loads. I have a S&W 9mm auto for plinking.

Old 01-30-2003, 02:21 PM

well i shoot a lot of hangun rounds (well not enough but roughly 100 times as many as what i shoot out of rifles). I simply find handguns more fun and more challenging. i also got my first deer ever this fall and low and behold it was with a handgun

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass

Old 01-30-2003, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like them all.Deer I use a S$W .41 mag.I usually carry a.32 seecamp or a model 60 S$Win .357 mag.or what ever floats my boat that day.

Danville Va.LAST CAPITAL OF THE CONFEDERACY
Old 01-31-2003, 02:33 PM

I prefer handguns to rifles because my shooting buddy is better with rifles than I am, but I shoot pistols better than he does!
Old 02-02-2003, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Zeak, which striker do you have? Is the stainless model with the muzzle break, or the blued model without?

Old 02-02-2003, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love handgun hunting. I have just discovered it about a year ago and got so hooked on it that I went whole hog and got a Dan Wesson 445 supermag with a 8" barrel and topped with a 2x7 burris. It is a perty setup and I love shooting it. I can choose to change barrels with it from 4 6 8 10 inchers. then I can get them in a compensated version too. Very multipurpose weapon. I haven't taken anything with it yet as I can't hunt in NJ with it but if I get to pa next year I will be using it.

I love my 270 weatherby mag 7mm rem mag and 338 win mag but now I am getting into this handgun hunting thing more and more.

I also shoot a ruger slab sided bull barrel 22 and my wifes sig p232 380.

Brian

Old 02-02-2003, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have taken three deer and a hog with my ruger redhawk 44mag with a 2x scope and love to have a close range alternative when hunting from a blind.
I am really interested in the Savage stiker and would love to add it to my small gun collection. The only question is- is the stainless version with muzzle break worth the extra green over the blued model with no muzzle break?

Old 02-02-2003, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt a lot with a handgun. I prefer my Blackhawk in 45 colt but I also have an Encore with several barrels. I also prefer peep sights or reddots to scopes. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking scopes or the people that use them.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

Nomercy,

I think what you are noticing is that this is a hunting related board, and as such people tend to focus on the guns that they hunt with. I don't see to many benchrest or skeet shooting questions around here do you? Furthermore, you should note that a person can acheive hunting accuracy with a shoulder mounted weapon more easily than with a handgun (requiring less time for practice, more time for hunting by persons with a limited amount of free time). Therefore, most of the people do most of their hunting with long guns, ergo most of the posts at this site concentrate on long guns.

However, I thought the same thing about two years ago when I decided to scope my SBH for some whitetail hunting. I have since gotten quite addicted to hunting with a handgun (most notably my Encore 14" 7-08). As a result I frequent this board less often, and have moved to boards that have forums dedicated to handgun hunting. You will find that there aren't nearly the abundance of handgun hunters as there are long gun hunters. But, they all are very serious and have an unbelievable amount of knowledge. If you want feel free to shoot me an e-mail and I will send you some of the forums that concentrate on handguns.

Oh, and as for the count, I have revolvers autos and single shot handguns, I use them from squirrels to deer and for self defense.

Gordon

...with the priveledge of hunting comes the responsibilty to respect the outdoors...
Old 02-14-2003, 11:40 AM

Just saw this post there are a lot of us out here I shoot and carry mostly 9mm in hand guns I have a bunch ruger single six 22 german 32 auto smith 9 torris(sp) 40 b/p 36 when I carry it is usally a 9mm 40 is too big. Getting another one tomarrow a glock 9mm m26

Quick Reply: Handgunners check in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.