Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 questions about refinishing an old gun >

questions about refinishing an old gun

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

questions about refinishing an old gun

Old 12-16-2007, 12:07 PM

Default questions about refinishing an old gun

The gun is scratched up and stuff in the bluing. It's a .22LR I bought off a buddy for $50, marlin bolt action with tubular magazine. I got .22's coming out of my ears, but it was a pretty good buy, and I don't see many tube-mags with bolt action.

Anyway, the question I have is can I strip off the old blueing and just redo it, or do I have to apply bluing over top of the older stuff. I didn't wanna do the latter because I was afraid it wouldn't give a good finish.

Also, persay I didn't want bluing, but I wanted a black matte finish, how would I go about this? Would automotive paint be good for something like this or what?

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: questions about refinishing an old gun

You could send it off and have it Teflon coated or a similar non-blue finish.

Look at these links:

http://www.mrarms.com/ This company will do a Diamondcoat. You can even get it done in a variety of colors.

http://www.blackicecoatings.com/Index.html They do the Black Ice teflon coatings. I think that they can do black, brown and tan/gold colors, and according to their website they can apply the teflon right over the existing blue.

I've seen a gun with the Black Ice, and it is really nice. The rifle I saw it on had it applied to all the parts, and it was really nice. No need for any lube on the rifle at all and it looked really sharp.

Mike

Old 12-16-2007, 12:52 PM

My father refinishes/re-blues rifles.... im not sure exactly what technic he uses but ill try to find out. He re-did one of my 10/22's and it looks as if it came from the factory! dont remember the exact condition of the original bluing but i know it didnt look like this lol
Old 12-16-2007, 02:16 PM
FA
Fork Horn

If your going to refinish the bluing use pure lemon juice to remove the old bluing first then use fine steel wool to polish the metal. Order Brownells cold bluing (the best I have ever used) and apply as per the directions. The metal will look like it was done by a gun smith.

www.brownells.com

Goodluck
Old 12-16-2007, 03:55 PM

Thats what my father said FA.... less the lemon juice...he uses a specific chemical for removing the old. Fine steel wool...FINE wool for the best finish. Make sure barrel is clean and free of any oil(finger prints), dust etc. after strippin the old off. The nfollow directions. Good luck
Old 12-16-2007, 05:11 PM

They make a kit for reblueing old guns - it's a cold blue, but the truth is that it is not any good and most of the time - all it will do is make the gun rust faster.

The gun shop here charges $75 plus a disassembly fee to take apart your gun and send it off to have it done the right way. But the value of your rifle might only be $150, so it is cost prohibitive to do that.

Your best bet is to let it alone and keep a good coat of oil on it and it will be just fine.