Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 using a Nikon BDC with .308 >

using a Nikon BDC with .308

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

using a Nikon BDC with .308

Old 12-12-2007, 05:25 AM
Spike

Default using a Nikon BDC with .308

Hi all....I'm wondering if anyone has used the nikon bdc scope on a .308 rifle. According to the literature, the scope was based on "most"centerfire calibers at 2800 fps. The .308 is right at that velocity. It seems as though it would work perfect with this caliber. I just put one on my Mossberg 100atr and would love to hear of any experiences withthe scope or scope/.308 combo. Thanks in advance
Old 12-12-2007, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: using a Nikon BDC with .308

Zero in exactly at 100 yards. Then,every lil circle down from crosshairs is 100 yards farther,to 500 yards.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Spike

I know that it's designed that way, but is it pretty much exact with the .308 shooting 150 grain bullets at 2800 fps. Actually, the fusions I shoot are 2820 @ the muzzle
Old 12-12-2007, 12:40 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: muzzypower

I know that it's designed that way, but is it pretty much exact with the .308 shooting 150 grain bullets at 2800 fps. Actually, the fusions I shoot are 2820 @ the muzzle
As always, it depends. Depends on how fast your barrel is. Depends how high your optics are mounted.

Like the directions say for you BDC. You have to go out and shoot it to find the power to set the scope too for each yardage. In other words, you have to sight the gun in at 100yards, then shoot 500 yards, and mess with the magnification until you are zeroed at 500 yards. Then the same thing at 400, then 300, and lastly 200. Sounds easy, but beleive me, little more difficult than that. You need a gun that is capable of pulling off 1.5MOA groups at least at 500 yards.

I have a BDC scope from nikon on my 204. After working on this with over hundred rounds. I should have just got a mildot.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definately need to see what it is doing at any given yardage you plan on shooting.

300,400,500 yard ranges are hard to come by, but open land where you can set some targets up at varying distances may not be.

All of the companies are going to sell a lot of scopes touting this new style recticle, but we as consumers owe it to our targets to make sure we know where our bullets land when a live animal is concerned.

I'd be interested in reading what you find when you put the .308 fusion vs. BDC to the test.

That is the round (fusion .308) I want to shoot out of mynext gun and would like to know what you find when shooting it.

I know you purchased the Nikon, but if you look around the burris website they brake it down to caliber and velocity and the .308 150 falls short of their hash marks on the ballistickplex recticle when looking out towards 500 yards- but it is very close until then.
http://www.burrisoptics.com/reticles.html
Click on the first link on the right.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:54 AM

ORIGINAL: DaveC

Definately need to see what it is doing at any given yardage you plan on shooting.

300,400,500 yard ranges are hard to come by, but open land where you can set some targets up at varying distances may not be.

All of the companies are going to sell a lot of scopes touting this new style recticle, but we as consumers owe it to our targets to make sure we know where our bullets land when a live animal is concerned.

I'd be interested in reading what you find when you put the .308 fusion vs. BDC to the test.

That is the round (fusion .308) I want to shoot out of mynext gun and would like to know what you find when shooting it.

I know you purchased the Nikon, but if you look around the burris website they brake it down to caliber and velocity and the .308 150 falls short of their hash marks on the ballistickplex recticle when looking out towards 500 yards- but it is very close until then.
http://www.burrisoptics.com/reticles.html
Click on the first link on the right.
I shoot that exact same set up in a 165grain out of my CVA Optiman elite .308 I haven't been able to shoot at the longer ranges yet, so I will post once I am able to do so.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

depending on the game and likely range, putting all the effort into properly sighting in with this scope as mentioned above, may be more trouble than its worth. if you're shooting under280 yards, you should be able to find a good .308 ammo that will not rise more than three inches above, or drop more than three inches below the line of sight of a more traditional reticle scope, when properly sighted (ROUGHLY hitting about 2.5 inches high at 100 yards). this means that if you put the crosshair (or mill dot, or whatever) on the center of the vitals of a whitetail that isanywhere from 0-280 yardsaway, you will hit in the vital area with plenty of energy. this is the advantage of a bigger centerfire rifle over a muzzle loader or shotgun. at the uncommonly used ranges longer than 280 yards is where a bdc type of idea may be useful, or you could justput the crosshairs and inch high of the center of the vitals at that range.

if you know your likely and actual ranges, it is unlikely thatyou would need to go through the trouble of thissighting process using a .308.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can make these reticles work with any load if you are willing to put in the time at the bench. Basically you need to play with the power of the scope, until you "line up" your trajectory. I have owned two BDC's, 2 Leupold Varmint Hunter Reticles, one Leupold Boone and Crocket reticle, and two of the Burris Ballistic Plex reticles. The Leupold's are by far the best. It took me about 150 rounds to really get the feel of the reticle. I shot 93 ground hog's with this rifle this year.

I rate theBurrissecond-and a distant second. I got rid of the BDC's, I found them to be awkward to use, and no help at all with windage. I recommend the Leupold reticle, but would not recommend the Nikon BDC.

Below is a picture of my Rock River Varminter with a Leupold 6.5X20with the Varmint Hunter reticle. At 15X the top crosshair is dead on, first crosshair down is 2 inches high at 300. The second crosshair down is 2 inches high at 400 yards. This is exactly how I want it. I can hold dead on out to 430 yards with no problem. I did not check the 500 yard crosshair. IMO the 223 Remington is at best a 300 yard groundhog cartridge. IMO it runs out of steam, and you have a lot of "crawl offs".

The problem is that with the reticle 400+ yard shots are a piece of cake. Whenever I shoot over 250 yards I always deliver a double tap. Shooting a double tap on ground hog's is a hoot, and it plants the ground hog. Tom.