Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

sako 85 scope mounts

Old 12-06-2007, 06:57 AM

Default sako 85 scope mounts

Whats the prefferred scope mount for the sako 85 in the 300 WSM models? are the optilocks worth it, or go with leupold mounts?
Old 12-06-2007, 07:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: sako 85 scope mounts

I have a set of Sako rings if you are interested $25 shipped? e-mail [email protected]
Old 12-06-2007, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like the sako rings because they are A. made for the rifle and the scope is centered with the bore B. They are bulletproof and protect the scope finish.

If your scope has up to a 50mm objective you can get away with lows easily, I would opt for the Ringmounts(1pc) and if the scope is less then 50mm go with the extra low 2 piece rings which are now available. Then you'll have to determine what bases to get because of the scope length. Short bases for short tubes etc. Get a metric allen set at your local Lowes or HOme depot and use it to tighten the Sako ring screws. The wrench sako provides is made of soft stainless and will mess up the heads on the screws. Trust me at 4 dollars a screw you don't want to mess them up. Leupold mounts don't have a stop pin on the rear base and are nowhere as sturdy. Let me know what kind of scope your putting on it and I can give you more info.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:26 AM

putting leupold VXIII 2.5-8 on it. Thanks.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have installed Conetrol rings and bases on 2 of my Sako rifle. They are a little tricky to install but I like the end result being the look without any mounting screws on the rings. I also have Optilok rings on another Sako rifle and like the design with the protective ring. I find the rings are set a little high for a 40 mm scope , even if they are the extra low set up...
Old 12-06-2007, 09:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

putting leupold VXIII 2.5-8 on it. Thanks.
Then you would use short bases

have installed Conetrol rings and bases on 2 of my Sako rifle. They are a little tricky to install but I like the end result being the look without any mounting screws on the rings. I also have Optilok rings on another Sako rifle and like the design with the protective ring. I find the rings are set a little high for a 40 mm scope , even if they are the extra low set up...

COnetrols are a real nice setup as well..your going to get them in CM but they are available in SS for 50% more. A PITA sometimes to setup but they are strong as all get out and windage adjustable and are way prettier then Optilocks. I have a 42mm Kahles on my "low" rings and they could surely go down a little and look a lot nicer.