Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 My new Ruger Frontier >

My new Ruger Frontier

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

My new Ruger Frontier

Old 12-04-2007, 08:17 PM

Default My new Ruger Frontier

Well, i posted a topic on the Ruger Frontier a few days back. Well, after doing research on this gun and other guns suggested by friends here to take a look at , i decided on the Ruger Frontier in 308 cal. AND the best news is I got a sweet deal on it....Ive been searching online and local gun shops for the Ruger but everyone wants an arm and a leg for it! Then today for giggles, i called my local shop to price them even though i had priced them in person... the manager told me he had abrand new one that had damage to the stock. He said it had a dent that you couldnt even see, only feel it. I had him hold it. When i arrived, he was right! you cant see it, only feel it! Then we talked money. He let it go for 425.00!!! considering it averages 600.00+ most places i thought what a deal! Its a done deal nowi cant wait to pick her up in a couple days! all i need now is a long relief scope & a deer or hog to point it at
Old 12-04-2007, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My new Ruger Frontier

Good grab. Post some pics when you get a chance.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:06 PM

Thanks! this is my 1st bolt action rifle. Have always used my 12 ga. and AK47 and other smaller rim fires....so im very excited to see how this thing performs. Most area's i hunt are ranges of 50-150 yrds with some area's up to 225-250yrds and very few any longer than that. Been told even with the very short barrel 16 1/2", told its a very capable and closely compairable to others with 22" barrels.... hope so Will deff post pics. The noted damage to the stock is practically non existant! very happy so far. to be continued!
Old 12-05-2007, 01:14 PM
c j
Typical Buck

Let us know how it handles & shoots. Most of the time when I'm in a hunting situation where I need something easy to carry that I can pull up and shoot quickly I take my Win 94, but I would think the Frontier would be a good alternative.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like the Ruger Frontier, I did not check to see if they are drilled for conventional scope mounts when I looked at them! Are they drilled and tapped for regular scopes? If so, the Frontier may be my next gun!
Old 12-05-2007, 06:49 PM

This is a link to a review including pics of what i picked up. Also is a detailed description of the ring / rail system.
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger_FrontierRifle.htm
Old 12-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the link! Make mine a .243!
Old 12-06-2007, 07:08 AM

So, what would you guys suggest as .308 ammo for this gun? Looking for the best, most accurate over the counter...no special in the basement loads. Main target is hogs and deer. Also what do you think is the accurate effective range of a rifle such as this with only a 16.5 barrel? I will be using it in some extremely thick brush/wooded area's but every once in a while ill run across some long shooting lanes. You know how it is...you bring a BB gun, youll need a BMG, you bring a BMG, youll need a tank...just seems to be how it works in the woods lol. Just trying to figure what you guys would consider a max shot. As soon as i get it, ill update you on my personal experiences with it
Old 12-06-2007, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

Probaly 200-300yards depending on the scope and the accuracy of the ammo. Get some range time at this distance.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:06 AM

Unfortunately i dont know off anywhere i can shoot those ranges in my area. Most ranges near me are 100yrds or less. Going to check a bit more into it and if i have to drive a ways then so be it lol. I think i would be comfortable at 220-225 based off what i have read about it but maybe farther...i dont know yet. Will be picking it up Saturday