HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - choke which choke for what game
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 02:08 PM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: choke which choke for what game

not calling ruger WRONG, just i wouldnt do it...you will either hit or miss your game, but when you hit it, its going to be full of pellets and blown up...and a whole lot more misses...

of the things listed,

turkey, get a full, extra full, or other turkey choke...you want a TIGHT pattern shooting #4, 5, 6 lead, copper plated or nickle plated shot, or hevi shot.

squirrel, id recommend modified choke shooting 4s 5s or 6s. squirrel arent REAL tough, but ive watched some take ALOT...i no longer use 7 1/2 for them..

rabbit and pheasant, id recommend an improved or modified choke. depends how close the shooting is...if its close, go improved. if farther, go modified. shot size i like 5, 6 and 7 1/2

cant comment much on duck and goose

things to remember...the lower the shot number, the bigger the pellet and less pellets in the shell. bigger pellets hit harder and do more damage, but are alot hard to hit a flying or moving critter with than a small shot...but small shot wont work well on bigger/tougher critters...

use more open chokes for close shooting/moving targets like rabbit or phesant etc...common chokes from the most open to the tightest Cylinder, Improved, modified, full, extra(turkey) full...lots of other chokes out there in between...your gun will likely come with improved, modified and full chokes..

PATTERN your gun with all your loads and chokes and see what does what at what range. yes, i pattern my guns and chokes to shoot small game..that way you know when the game is too far out, or what shot size to use, or if something is too close to shoot(yes you can be too close to something...youll either hit it and blow it apart or miss it)

i wont get into the various shotgun loads here and now lol...

my advice, find a buddy or relative that knows about hunting and hang out with them, hunt and shoot with them...ask them questions..if thats not possible, we are always here at HNI....but real life help is always best when possible...

good luck with the new gun!