Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 I've narrowed it down to 2 rifles- Savage Vs. Remington sorta >

I've narrowed it down to 2 rifles- Savage Vs. Remington sorta

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I've narrowed it down to 2 rifles- Savage Vs. Remington sorta

Old 11-28-2007, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I've narrowed it down to 2 rifles- Savage Vs. Remington sorta

I've had a hankering for a new gun and have oddly narrowed my decision down to 2 rifles for different reasons that aren't exactly in the same category.

I’m after either a .270 or .308- since I already have guns chambered in those rounds (.270 700ADL & .308 savage striker) and want to keep life simple in the ammo department. I have killed deer with both and have confidence in each round.

On the one hand the Remington 700SPS VARMINT .308 26” barrel is calling my name. I handled one at bass pro and it felt good to shoulder and balanced well (to me anyways). I like the long range accuracy possibilities and the new X-Mark Pro trigger.

On the other hand the Savage Weather Warrior 116FCSS in .270 with the detachable clip is also calling me. I handled one in the .270 WSM and the barrel looked plenty stout for a non-heavy barrel. On this gun I like the stainless finish, accutrigger and detachable box magazine. This gun also felt good to shoulder and left me smiling until I got home and realized the .270 win comes with a 2” shorter barrel at 22” than the .270SM I handled at 24”.

Is the 22” barrel in the .270win adequate?
Why does Remington use a 24” in the .270win while, Savage uses a 22”?

Well there it is, my dilemma.

Any experience with either gun good or bad?
Any input to help sway my decision one way or the other?

Old 11-28-2007, 09:07 PM
Banned

Default RE: I've narrowed it down to 2 rifles- Savage Vs. Remington sorta

that extra 2" is not going to amount to a hill of beans. You'll lose a little velocity, but with a 270, it wont matter too much. If if does, than get Hornady light magnums to make up the difference.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

go with whatever u are comfortable with but i personally love the savage in the 270 with the accutrigger. Best trigger going on the market by a long shot in my opinion. The 2" of extra barrel arn't going to mean anything. Go with what fits you and feels comfy.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

What are you looking to do with your gnu rifle? Bench shooting? Deer, Hogs, or other such-sized critters? Elk, Moose, Sheep, bigger stuff? Will this be a backup rifle, or a down-n-dirty, don't-get-your-other-fancy-guns-marked-up-in-the-bush kind of rifle?

FWIW, I believe the 700 SPSuses 24" as their barrel length for standard cartridges, with 26" for magnums. It looks like you can getthe SPS in Stainless, or with a Detachable Mag, but not both.

I've had tremendous luck with Remingtons, & they fit me quite well. I'm still trying to get the Savage I bought this past summer, to shoot any better than 3" groups. This is just my experience: I know there are folks who despise Big Green, & that the vast majority of folks report their Savages are incredible shooters.

Pick the rifle that made you smile longer!

FC
Old 11-29-2007, 07:17 AM

same as folically challenged here, i've had great luck with the rem's over my life, they suit me well and i'm comfortable shooting them, short of a custom its probably the only off-the-shelf rifle i'll ever own (until which time i get burned by Rem, then maybe i'll jump ship)... but you gotta go with which ever one you feel most comfortable with... that's whats important, if the savage made you smile the most, get the savage... but you can't go on another's reccomendation if you do you'll be left thinking "what if?" and you'll never be happy...

as for the rounds, personally i like the .270 anyway... but that's not to say the .308 is bad, just not my thing...

oh, and i have to say this, the remington is a MUCH better looking gun imho...

edit - btw, they quit making the ADL in '04
Old 11-29-2007, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Browning... WONT EVER BUY ANOTHER REMINGTON RIFLE IN MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bought 2 brownings... Both are MOA rifles... My BOSS is a .5 MOA rifle with factory ammo... Triggers are sweet and very easy to adjGo figure
Old 11-29-2007, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

FC- deer & pigs. Only bench shooting would be between seasons to know where the bullets land at varying distances. Only 3" groups[], man I would be ticked with that. I hope whichever I choose will perform better than that.
Yes the Remington SPS has a hole in its line-up- stainless with a drop magazine, you can get one or the other, but not both.

Sevenmag- The ADL I listed as a gun I already own is pre -04.
I'm going to "what if" the second the gun I purchase doesn't perform as desired. heck, I might end up with both before this is overwith.

For Clarification- the Savage has a 22" barrel in the .270 (while remington uses a 24" in like models)
The remington Varmint in question uses a 26" bull barrel and comes in at 8.5#- but it felt like it balnced well (unlike the savage varminter which felt HEAVY as heck even though it list at 8.75#)

Mr. Longbeard- I haven't considered the Browning,yet, mostly due to price- where are they made anyways?

BTW, overall weight of the gun is not much of a concern since where I hunt doesn't allow walk around hunting. You pretty much climb in your stand and have to stay there.