HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I've narrowed it down to 2 rifles- Savage Vs. Remington sorta
Old 11-28-2007, 08:45 PM
DaveC
Nontypical Buck

Default I've narrowed it down to 2 rifles- Savage Vs. Remington sorta

I've had a hankering for a new gun and have oddly narrowed my decision down to 2 rifles for different reasons that aren't exactly in the same category.

I’m after either a .270 or .308- since I already have guns chambered in those rounds (.270 700ADL & .308 savage striker) and want to keep life simple in the ammo department. I have killed deer with both and have confidence in each round.

On the one hand the Remington 700SPS VARMINT .308 26” barrel is calling my name. I handled one at bass pro and it felt good to shoulder and balanced well (to me anyways). I like the long range accuracy possibilities and the new X-Mark Pro trigger.

On the other hand the Savage Weather Warrior 116FCSS in .270 with the detachable clip is also calling me. I handled one in the .270 WSM and the barrel looked plenty stout for a non-heavy barrel. On this gun I like the stainless finish, accutrigger and detachable box magazine. This gun also felt good to shoulder and left me smiling until I got home and realized the .270 win comes with a 2” shorter barrel at 22” than the .270SM I handled at 24”.

Is the 22” barrel in the .270win adequate?
Why does Remington use a 24” in the .270win while, Savage uses a 22”?

Well there it is, my dilemma.

Any experience with either gun good or bad?
Any input to help sway my decision one way or the other?