Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Looking for Advice >

Looking for Advice

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Looking for Advice

Old 11-26-2007, 09:47 AM

Default Looking for Advice

I currently have a Ruger 7mm Mag, an I'm looking for the best type of round I can put down the barrel! I currently have some 7mm Remington Gold Tipped rounds at 150 grain, but checked at Gander Mountain and found they cost in upwards of $40+. I did see thatWally World carried them for about 1/2 the cost, but I'm wondering is this the best round for me. Can anyone offer some sound advice? Thanks

Old 11-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Looking for Advice

It is always best to try different types of ammo to find the best for your particular rifle. With that being said I have 4 different types of 7mm ammo I would make you a deal on to try. E-mail me and I'll save you some money. [email protected]
Old 11-26-2007, 02:51 PM
c j
Typical Buck

Yeah, if you're not reloading I'd try several different brands to see if there's one that your gun likes best. However, with factory ammo, I lean toward Hornady. I always liked Federal, but I wasn't as impressed with the results on the actual game animals when I used their Fusion ammo. I never lost anything, but I was underwhelmed just the same.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try some of the factory loads you find at Wal-Mart. you don't need some super fancy ultra bonded bullet to kill deer power points and cor-lokts have been doing if for decades.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:47 PM

That's like askin', "What's the best chicken to go past my lips?" (A little food humor PhatChef)
Everybody is going to like something different, and use something different! . . . your gun might like onecartridge over another.
You didn't say what you'd be shooting.
I personally don't roll my own and I lean towards the premium carts from Winchester orRemington. I have been sticking to the Winchester Supreme AccuBond's lately. I just took a mulie Friday at 397 yards! That's what I call performance!

This is how I approach cartridge selection; If the caliber was developed by Winchester, i.e. .300 Win Mag, .243 Win., 270 Win, then I get Winchester ammo. If it's a Remington round, like 25-06, 300 Rem Ultra, or .338 Rem, then I buy Remington ammo. Sounds stupid, but takes some of the guess work out of it. I figure if they made it, they probably make the best ammo for it.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

The ABSOLUTE BEST ammo is handloads with premium bullets worked up to YOUR specific rifle!
Old 11-26-2007, 08:59 PM

find a friend that shoots the same chambering. Buy a few differnt types of ammo, try each. Use the one that shoots best. If after you take game you don't like bullet performance on impact, research why, and try another brand. There is no quick fix.