Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 over cleaning a gun >

over cleaning a gun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

over cleaning a gun

Old 11-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default over cleaning a gun

can you over clean a shotgun like say i go shoot 40 rounds come home and clean it then do that once a week am i over cleaning the gun

i have always been told you shoot it you clean it everytime nomatter what

should i not clean the gun everytime i shoot it

and what is the recommend break in on a mossberg 500 smooth bore

how oftern between rounds should i clean it when i first get it
Old 11-25-2007, 12:53 PM

Default RE: over cleaning a gun

You can't really over clean one, but you can over oil them. They really don't need much oil at all.

Some rifles shoot better with a "fouled" barrel if you are looking for the utmost accuracy, so some rifle shooters will not clean a barrel until it needs it.

With a smooth bore shotgun though I would say run a patch down it and wipe off the metal surfaces after every shooting session. Won't hurt anything and it will get you familiar with your gun.

You really don't need to strip the whole gun down every time you shoot it though unless you got it really dirty or wet. Again doesn't hurt anything either as long as you don't mess it up putting it back together.

Paul
Old 11-25-2007, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

how hard is a 500 to strip down completely and clean when i had my ar15 i would field strip it remove the upper take out the bolt assmbly cleaned everthng wiped off the trigger and what klower parts i could but i never striped down the lower
Old 11-25-2007, 01:35 PM

You cannot "overclean your gun".
Think of it this way.A shooter can take his shotgun to the range and fire 50+slugs throughthe barrel. Keep in mind that these slugs are hunks of lead (sometimes with a copper jacket)being propelled by gun powder (which causes extreme heat and pressure inside the barrel) typical shotgun slugs travel at about 1500-1700 ft. per second and some of todays modern sabots are flying around 2000 ft. per second or faster.

So, to sum up overcleaning. Running a brush and some oil down your barrel will not damage your shotgun at all. (I dont care how fast you scrub it)

The only issue I would say to be aware of is not to leave EXTREME excess of oil inside the barrel. Make sure you wipe down the insides of your barrel with a dry cloth after you brush your barrel and apply your solvents/ oils or both.
Also,there is no "break in" period for a "smoothbore" shot gun. (BECAUSE ITS SMOOTHBORE)Some guys like to "break in" or "season" thier barrels which canaid in better accuracy out of rifles, muzzleloaders or shotguns with"RIFLED" barrels.

Believe it or not, sometimes when a rifle or shotgun with a rifled barrel comes from the factory, There are still some imperfections left over from the rifling process. I have purchased guns (brand new) that still have had metal shavings inside the rifling that effected the way the firearm performed. Over time, with proper shooting and cleaning procedure, These firearms became extremely accurate. They just needed the lands and the grooves of the riflingto be cleaned out and seasoned over time.( HOWEVER, A SMOOTHBORE SHOULD BE READY TO SHOOT RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX) " with the right ammo. The mechanics inside a smoothbore are simple. If the diameter of the inside of the barrel is correct for the size of the slug itwill be shooting and there are no obstructions or foriegn debris inside the barrel.....you should be all set.

However, with your smoothbore, if you are getting patterns that are all over the paper at 50 yds. You better check your scope (if you have one) If you dont have a scope and you are still getting slugs flying in every direction @ 50yds or less.....ODDS ARE ---IT IS THE SHOOTER (not the gun). You should also experiment with different brands of slugs. Certain slugs fire better out of certain shotguns. Either way, you should find some brand of slugs that will shoot atleast 4 inch groups. If you are shooting 18 inch groups (and you dont have a scope that is loose or a scope at all for the matter).....it isnt the gun, it isnt the slugs,......it is the shooter.

good luck andI hope this has answered some things for you.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:42 PM

well for me there is no such thing as over cleaning, just like you can have too man guns, i actully from time to time wipe down or do a quick cleaning check on my guns even though they are in a hard case, because one timei went to shoot my gun and something was in the muzzle [&:]so i always check before i go hunting, or shooting.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:01 PM

You really shouldn't leave your guns in a hard case either. Its not to great on the finish over time. Sometimes you don't have a choice though. If you do make sure there is a fresh dessicant bag in the case to soak up moisture.

Paul