Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Need a little help bought a new gun >

Need a little help bought a new gun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need a little help bought a new gun

Old 11-15-2007, 10:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need a little help bought a new gun

I'm going rifle hunting for the first time and bought a new remington 30.06. I was wondering if any of you had any tips for sighting it in. What yardage would you recomend I sight it in at? Thanks
Old 11-16-2007, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need a little help bought a new gun

I would sight it in at 100 yards. I would bore sight it as well if it's a bolt action, that is. That'll save you some ammo and time and get you on paper quicker than just guessing where it'll hit by just mounting the scope and shooting.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:51 AM
Typical Buck

start closer. when i sighted mine in, i started at 30 yards. Get that down so you can find it when you move out to 100. Makes no sense starting at 100 yards when you have no idea of how its sighted.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never said to start bore sighting it at 100. I just said sight it in for 100. But you should be able to bore sight it at 100 if you want to.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Set your scope 3" high at 100 yds. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:28 AM

That all depends on what loads you use and how far you want to shoot.

If you use 150 grn silvertips by Winchester sighting in 3 inches high at 100 yards would put your aproximate zero at 250 yards. Leaving you around 3.5 inches high at 150 yards and 4 inches or so low at 300 yards.

This is with your sight 1.5 inches above the bore.

If you sighted in for 100 yards you would be pretty flat out to 100 yards, 1 inch low at 150 yards and 3.5 inches low at 200 yards.

This is on paper anyway, the only way to really know is to shoot YOUR gun at those distances and see what it does.

If you have no intentions of shooting beyond 200 yards I would just go with a zero at 100 yards for simplicities sake. If you think you want to shoot farther you might want to pick a different zero range.

If you shoot a different cartridge this will change as well.

Paul
Old 11-18-2007, 05:23 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Simp

I would bore sight it as well if it's a bolt action, that is. That'll save you some ammo and time and get you on paper quicker than just guessing where it'll hit by just mounting the scope and shooting.
Why would you only bore sight it if its a bolt action?
Old 11-18-2007, 07:46 AM

Because unless you own the tools bore sighting can be pretty hard with a auto or pump. With a bolt you can just pull the bolt and look right down the barrel with the gun in a rest. That's how I do it.

Otherwise you will either have to take it somewhere and have them do it or buy a tool that goes in the end of the barrel.

Honestly if it's your first gun I would suggest having the shop mount the scope and bore sight it for you. Then go out take your first shots at 25 yards or so to make sure they are on the paper. Then work you way back.

I say this a lot with archery, but it applies to guns as well. Don't expect to tune or sight in any better than you can shoot. If your not capable of 1 inch groups at 100 yards don't expect equipment to be.

Paul