Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Anyone tried the new Thompson/Center Icon? >

Anyone tried the new Thompson/Center Icon?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Anyone tried the new Thompson/Center Icon?

Old 10-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Anyone tried the new Thompson/Center Icon?

What do you think about it?

I was surfing around the various manufacturer sites to see what's new, and came across the Icon bolt-action rifle. It looks like a pretty nice little rifle with some desirable features, and sports a 1 MOA accuracy guarantee.

Also, anybody know anything about the new .30 Thompson/Center cartridge? The claim that it's shorter than the .308 Win, but honestly duplicates .30-06 performance with 150 and 165gr bullets. Looks like they took a .308 Win case, bumped back the shoulder some and Ackley Improved it.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 10-21-2007, 09:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Anyone tried the new Thompson/Center Icon?

I have had a chance to handle a few, personally I was disappointed in it. Ruger quality wood, Sako looking checkering pattern, the bolt handle is a funky shape and it's silver in color, the action is a black matte while the barrel is a glossy finish, bolt release is bright shiny silver, triggers were heavy and a bit of creep....the gun might shoot but to me all the pieces dont go together, dont match up. I know looks dont matter to some but the rifles I have looked at dont live up to the hype I have read.Dont see one in my future. My $.02
Old 10-21-2007, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks doubleA. I didn't know they existed until today, and it's hard to judge a rifle via a website.

Mike

Old 10-21-2007, 11:12 PM

Something else to ponder about the Icon is the accuracy, I have not shot one yet but Shooting Times magazine claims that it was getting quarter inch to three quarters of an inch at 100 yds. while American Rifleman magazine was getting around an inch and half to 2 inches at 100yds. using the same ammo.

Would just like to hear from someone who owns one what type of accuracy they are getting.

God bless the NRA
Old 10-22-2007, 07:45 PM
Spike

I have the Icon in .308 win... gun is an absolute tack driver!!

3/8" cloverleaf at 100 yards, andsub 1-inch groupsat 200 yrds w/inexpensive Federal power-shok 150 grain soft points.

Only thing I personally do not like is the bolt handle design - i'm more of a traditionalist here. Wood on mine is better than average quality. Trigger (adjusted for 3lb pull) is very crisp and absolutely NO creep.

Overall gun with scope is a tad heavy, but not too bad.

IMO ... you will behard pressed to find a better gun for the money.