Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 all purpose lever-action? >

all purpose lever-action?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

all purpose lever-action?

Old 10-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default all purpose lever-action?

Through an unfortunate set of circumstances, my Tikka T-3 was stolen this week. I have gone through the grieving process, and am ready to enter a long term relationship with another firearm. Much as I loved the Tikka, I'm thinking that the dense brush and timber i hunt in is much more suited to a lever action with open sights, so that's the direction I'm moving in. for a variety of reasons, I'm kinda taken with both the Marlin 1894 stainless in 44 Mag, or the 1895 stainless in 45-70.

I'm looking for input on one of these v. the other and any insight is welcomed. couple things to consider:
1. I'd like this firearm to have the broadest range of potential application, gamewise. I'd like something i can use from whiteail to moose and bear.

2. most of my hunting situations involve game at 75 yards or less, so I've ruled out a variety of other cartridges.

3. I don't reload, so i'm gonna be limited to factory ammo.

4. recoil isn't an issue for me, but is is for my sons, who might have occassion to use it I know the 44 mag recoil is nominal, but don't know about the 45-70. The Tikka had a composite stock, and chambered in 30-06 was just too much for them.

your thoughts are welcome, and appreciated in advance.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:01 PM

Default RE: all purpose lever-action?

Well your choice of a 45-70 is a great choice for Moose, Elk, and Bear.As for the recoil it will have either close to the same ammount or more recoil then your 30-06. It all depends on the weight of the gun and how it fits you. The 44 Mag would work for deer at the ranges you shoot but i wouldnt take it for Moose or Bear. May i also suggest a lever gun in 30-30 or 35 Whelen. They are both great calibers have ammot that is not hard or too expensive to get, and also dont have much recoil.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

gotta disagree . i think the 44mag. lever would be fine for black bear at short ranges. 300 grain hornady xtps are good medicine.as far as moose i havent hunted them but i have talked to guides who say it doesnt take much to kill them. if your looking for a modern lever maybe check out the marlin levers . i think they have a 308 offering. the browning lever comes in 308 also.that should handle elk for sure.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:26 PM

I own a Marlin 1894SS (.44 mag) and I absolutely love it. I have a old Redfield wideview scope on it and I have had the time of my life shooting deer & hogs with it. Never shot a bear before, but if I get my chance while home I'll let you know how we did. It's accurate, reliable and just plain fun to shoot.I have the redfield mounted on see thru scope mounts so that when I have to I can use the open sights to lay the smack down when necessary. All and all with all the hunts this rifle has been through with me, I wouldn't part with it for less than TRIPPLE what a new one cost.

(I'd be lying if I told you I wouldn't sell it at all. Especially when I can buy a new one and make MORE memories and still have change in my pocket.)
Old 10-19-2007, 09:02 PM

I've used an 1894 in 44 mag. several times on bear, w/ Federal's 300gr. cast core all is well.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a marlin lever in a 45/70,it is a great rifle.You can use different loads to fit who is shooting it.From cowboy loads to buffalo bore/garrett,that is a wide range of power.It will take care of any of the game you mentioned.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

The .35 Whelen would be a good choice as well as the 45-70. Another option would be the .444 Marlin but it does kick a little for sure... not as bad as the .450 Marlin though.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:22 AM

I'd suggest the 45/70 as it can take any critter you'll find. The recoil isn't bad with normal factory ammo, but can get down right nasty with the hot custom stuff.
A sighting option many overlook is the receiver sights from Williams and a few other companys. I have the Williams Guide Receiver sights on mine with the Fire sight front, this combo is very fast, especially in the woods where light isn't the best.
If you've never owned a Marlin leveraction before you are in for a treet, some people call it an addiction.
I have 12 rifles to choose from but most often it's the Marlin 1895 that I grab when I head to the woods.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: boysda

Through an unfortunate set of circumstances, my Tikka T-3 was stolen this week. I have gone through the grieving process, and am ready to enter a long term relationship with another firearm. Much as I loved the Tikka, I'm thinking that the dense brush and timber i hunt in is much more suited to a lever action with open sights, so that's the direction I'm moving in. for a variety of reasons, I'm kinda taken with both the Marlin 1894 stainless in 44 Mag, or the 1895 stainless in 45-70.

I'm looking for input on one of these v. the other and any insight is welcomed. couple things to consider:
1. I'd like this firearm to have the broadest range of potential application, gamewise. I'd like something i can use from whiteail to moose and bear.

2. most of my hunting situations involve game at 75 yards or less, so I've ruled out a variety of other cartridges.

3. I don't reload, so i'm gonna be limited to factory ammo.

4. recoil isn't an issue for me, but is is for my sons, who might have occassion to use it I know the 44 mag recoil is nominal, but don't know about the 45-70. The Tikka had a composite stock, and chambered in 30-06 was just too much for them.

your thoughts are welcome, and appreciated in advance.
Between a .444 and a .45/70, I would opt for the .45/70. I consider it more versatile, even if one is forced to buy ammunition. There's just more different loads available for it.

As far as sighting equipment is concerned, I must agree that the aperture receiver sight is more precise and faster to use than any open sight. Unscrew the disc, and look through the big hole. I prefer the Sourdough type square, reflective blade front sight.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I gotta vote for the Marlin in 45/70, myself........

Quick Reply: all purpose lever-action?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.