HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - all purpose lever-action?
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2007, 07:26 AM
eldeguello
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: all purpose lever-action?

ORIGINAL: boysda

Through an unfortunate set of circumstances, my Tikka T-3 was stolen this week. I have gone through the grieving process, and am ready to enter a long term relationship with another firearm. Much as I loved the Tikka, I'm thinking that the dense brush and timber i hunt in is much more suited to a lever action with open sights, so that's the direction I'm moving in. for a variety of reasons, I'm kinda taken with both the Marlin 1894 stainless in 44 Mag, or the 1895 stainless in 45-70.

I'm looking for input on one of these v. the other and any insight is welcomed. couple things to consider:
1. I'd like this firearm to have the broadest range of potential application, gamewise. I'd like something i can use from whiteail to moose and bear.

2. most of my hunting situations involve game at 75 yards or less, so I've ruled out a variety of other cartridges.

3. I don't reload, so i'm gonna be limited to factory ammo.

4. recoil isn't an issue for me, but is is for my sons, who might have occassion to use it I know the 44 mag recoil is nominal, but don't know about the 45-70. The Tikka had a composite stock, and chambered in 30-06 was just too much for them.

your thoughts are welcome, and appreciated in advance.
Between a .444 and a .45/70, I would opt for the .45/70. I consider it more versatile, even if one is forced to buy ammunition. There's just more different loads available for it.

As far as sighting equipment is concerned, I must agree that the aperture receiver sight is more precise and faster to use than any open sight. Unscrew the disc, and look through the big hole. I prefer the Sourdough type square, reflective blade front sight.