Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Out west rifle need help >

Out west rifle need help

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Out west rifle need help

Old 10-09-2007, 11:45 AM

Default Out west rifle need help

I am going out west(not this year) to go after Elk and Mule Deer. I am looking at getting one of three rifles in one of two calibres.

rifles: Tikka T3(in either laminate stainless or wood blued)
Browning A-Bolt in Stainless synthetic(new camo stock)
Remington Mountain Rifle Stainless synthetic

Calibres: 300 WM, 325

I was wondering what you all thought of these rifles in those two cartridges or if you had any suggestions of your own. My current whitetail rifle is a Winchester 70 featherweight in .270. I know i could load it hotter for elk and it'll drop mulies fine. However I wanted something that shot hotter and was thinking 300 in a 165 grain bullet? If this should have been two seperate posts forgive me, new to the forums.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:40 PM

Default RE: Out west rifle need help

Any of the three rifles would be fine choices. Either of the two cartridge choices would be excellent. though I wouldn't shoot 165's except possibly Barnes TSXs. I would recommend at least 180's for the 300 WM.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:38 PM

Of the rifles, I would lean toward the Tikka, just personal, I really like their stock, and I have been thinking of maybe getting one in .338, I really don't NEED one but it's never really a case of need is it : ) Of the calibers, I would definately go with the .300WM I have two and love 'em. Ditto on the 180gr bullets, I prefer Partitions, again, just personal, there are a lot of good bullets out there. I prefer calibers that have been around along time, and the 300WM has been here since the '60s, I just like the old standards ( like the .270)
Old 10-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any of those rifles will work great for you. My favorite is a-bolt. If you do get a a-bolt,be sure and get the boss. Looks like you forgot the excellent .338 win mag. If you want a outstanding close to medium (within 250-300) range rifle without magnum recoil-check out the 35 whelen. Of the magnums-either 338wm or .325wsm. There are bigger,faster cartridges but it's my opinion that one would be shooting instead of hunting if those cartridges won't do the trick.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:36 PM

I guess I was leaning toward the .300 instead of the 338 due to the fact that I could load the .300 down to .30-06 like performance if I wanted to use it for whitetail too without the kick. I hadnt give the .338 much thought and will look into that as well. I have used my uncles .325 and liked how it performed....likewise the .300 thats why I was torn between the two.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would lean toward the Tikka too. Mostly because they have that wonderful 1 MOA accuracy guarentee as well as a detachable mag. The T3's aren't that great for fit and finish but they have a wonderful trigger (as do the Brownings) that is easily adjustable between 2-4 #'s as well as the slickest actions I've ever felt (bolt slides on it's own when you tilt the rifle 30 degrees either up or down all the way open or closed).

I love my Tikka and I've never regretted selling my A-Bolt to buy it.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:19 PM

300 WM, either the Remington or Browning. Noting you can kill muleys with a .223, I think a 325 might be a bit heavy. Doesn't have the load options of the 300.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:22 PM

Just stick with your 270. You alread own it, you're comfortable shooting it, and it has plenty of power.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:24 PM

I went once already and took an elk with it, it took two shots and still went a ways(both right in the lungs) I want something with a little more nockdown power and one with a little more range I guess. Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Old 10-09-2007, 08:41 PM
Typical Buck

A 270 was taken to Africa and killed everything that it could there. Of course it was a Weatherby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.