Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Out west rifle need help >

Out west rifle need help

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Out west rifle need help

Old 10-11-2007, 01:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Out west rifle need help

I once shot an elk looking straight at me at 75 yards with a 340 Weatherby Magnum. 250 grain bullet. The bull dropped in his tracks. I would not have taken that shot with a 270. I am sure a 270 is adequate medicine for an elk-but why would you limit yourself?? I guess if you can not handle a larger caliber then you should not shoot a larger caliber. But again why would you limit yourself. Get the larger caliber and shoot the largest bullet you feel comfortable with. 338's and 375's rule. Tom.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Shatodavis - Its too bad you took my comment the wrong way about recoil. But SOME shooters are recoil shy and develop a bad flinch from just a couple of bench sessions with a big cartridge/rifle combo. Although you are right that you don't feel the recoil when shooting a game. If the shooter does devleop a flinch he may not hit what he is aiming at or worse yet, cripple the animal. I'd much rather see someone use a .270 with a quality bullet and hit the vitals than a .338 and hit the guts. We are all entitled to our own opinions and we have both stated ours.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:29 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Shatodavis - Its too bad you took my comment the wrong way about recoil. But SOME shooters are recoil shy and develop a bad flinch from just a couple of bench sessions with a big cartridge/rifle combo. Although you are right that you don't feel the recoil when shooting a game. If the shooter does devleop a flinch he may not hit what he is aiming at or worse yet, cripple the animal. I'd much rather see someone use a .270 with a quality bullet and hit the vitals than a .338 and hit the guts. We are all entitled to our own opinions and we have both stated ours.
I 100% agree with you. Ihave a retired game warden friend that uses a 300 Savage mod. 99 in thick wooded area and 6.5 Rem. mag. in the open area. In the 300 Savage he uses 150gr. handload and the 6.5 mag. uses 129gr. handload. He has never lost an elk yet.Shot placement and bullet construction to me is the key factor.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:55 AM

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Shatodavis .... I'd much rather see someone use a .270 with a quality bullet and hit the vitals than a .338 and hit the guts...
I totally agree!

Accuracy can be obtained with the big thumpers too.

OBTW I wasn't necessarily directing my comments to you. Just talking in generallities.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: barrabas74

I am going out west(not this year) to go after Elk and Mule Deer. I am looking at getting one of three rifles in one of two calibres.

rifles: Tikka T3(in either laminate stainless or wood blued)
Browning A-Bolt in Stainless synthetic(new camo stock)
Remington Mountain Rifle Stainless synthetic

Calibres: 300 WM, 325

I was wondering what you all thought of these rifles in those two cartridges or if you had any suggestions of your own. My current whitetail rifle is a Winchester 70 featherweight in .270. I know i could load it hotter for elk and it'll drop mulies fine. However I wanted something that shot hotter and was thinking 300 in a 165 grain bullet? If this should have been two seperate posts forgive me, new to the forums.
I cannot give rifle recommendations, as I have never used any of those.

However, the .270 is certainly adequate for elk. My bullet choice in the .270 for game bigger than deer is the 150-grain Nosler Partition with 53.5 grains of IMR 4350.

If you need a larger rifle, IMO, .30 cal is not enough bigger than .270 to make a significant difference. However, the .325 is, and even better is the .338 Win. or the .340 Weatherby. But make sure you can handle the recoil of such critters before you use one on a nice trophy!
Old 10-11-2007, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Eldegullo,I too bypass the 30 caliber. If it's too big for 7mm,I go straight to .32,33,or 35 caliber. To tell the truth,I seldom hunt with ANY rifle anymore as I'm usually bowhunting.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:01 AM
Fork Horn

Why bypass the .30 caliber america's sweetheart caliber. there must be something to the .30 calibers sell better than any biggame caliber. I agree with most you don't need more than .30 and sure you can get by with a smaller caliber.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:23 AM
Typical Buck

Any those rifles will do you fine. IMO a Remmy 700 Syn/blued in 30.06 or .308 will do the job fine for you.This save you several hundy dollars that you could purchase another piece of equipment like a good pack!
Old 10-19-2007, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I recommed a rifle chambered in 338-caliber, for a elk only rifle.
I myself use a 340-Weatherby. I own other rifles, but the 338 is king in the elk wood. (IMHO)
Old 10-19-2007, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: savagescout

Why bypass the .30 caliber america's sweetheart caliber. there must be something to the .30 calibers sell better than any biggame caliber. I agree with most you don't need more than .30 and sure you can get by with a smaller caliber.
The .30 is America's rifle caliber for one reason only: The Army used it in the Krag, and later, the 1903 Springfield. Had the Army chosen the 7mm or the 8mm as a result of the Spanish American war, then one of those would be "America's caliber" instead of the .30.

The reason for jumping over the .30 is that it is not sufficiently better than a .270 to buy a .30 if you already have a .270.

Quick Reply: Out west rifle need help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.