Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Single shot rifles >

Single shot rifles

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Single shot rifles

Old 10-03-2007, 12:44 PM
Spike

Default Single shot rifles

Hello all,

I've been thinking about getting a high caliber single shot rifle and im wondering what some of your opinions are on brands/calibers. Right now im looking at a Ruger No.1 in either .405 win or .338 win mag.
I'm worried about the availability of .405 since the only place i can find it is hornady, but the classiccartridge would be part of the fun of this rifle. I'd also like some opinions on scopes that can handle the recoil of the .405 or .338.

This would just be forrecreational shooting on weekends with friends and probably wont ever be used for hunting. I've only ever shot AR-15s in .223 and .22 LRs with iron sights and this will be my first gun purchase so opinions of more experienced shooters will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Single shot rifles

We have a Ruger #1 in .375 H&H and if you are not used to shooting a heavy recoiling gun I wouldn't recommend it. It is not something you want to shoot too many times for fun. If you want a large caliber I would look at getting a 45/70. You can get the milder loads or get hot loads for it. We use Zeiss Conquest for most of our rifles and never had a problem.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have a Ruger #1 in .375 H&H and if you are not used to shooting a heavy recoiling gun I wouldn't recommend it. It is not something you want to shoot too many times for fun. If you want a large caliber I would look at getting a 45/70. You can get the milder loads or get hot loads for it. We use Zeiss Conquest for most of our rifles and never had a problem.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:51 PM

The .405 is a cool claiber, but both calibers you mentioned would be pretty expensive plinking, unless you reload. The 45/70 would be a better choice, but not by much. I bought a Marlin 1895 in june, and I am actually having trouble finding ammo, components, and bullets. So far I have been casting my own, and that saves some. I finally have a load I am confident in for hunting this fall.I thought since the caliber has seen such a resurgence in the last few years, it would be easy to find ammo and such. Factory ammo in really expensive and very under powered. Plinking with a .338 would get old in a short time. The recoil isn't that much different than a .375H&H, I own both, and would actually prefer to shoot the .375. I have put fifty rounds through mine in an afternoon of lesting loads, and the next couple of days, the old shoulder is a bit tender. At any rate, plinking with a big bore can be pricey and painful.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:26 PM
Spike

Thanks for the replies so far. I don't really get away to shoot more than 4 times a year so the cost/pain won't really hit me that hard(i hope). The .405 i've found on the internet is actually one of the cheaper large calibers i've found($50.00/20). The only cheaper one i've found is 45/70 ($35.00/20).Im more worried about notbeing able to find .405 as it seemslike itsnot that popular. Im heading out to some local guns stores to check the stock they cary.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll be ordering my #1 in .405 shorty I hope. Wanted one for quite a while now. Mostly just for a plinker and for the classic style rifle with the classic cartridge. I'll reload so ammo isn't a big issue. I have 3 other #1's currently, one of which is a .45-70. Great shooter and also another great classic cartridge. If you're not to be relaoding, I'd sugegst going with the .45-70 just becasue of the wide availability of ammo. All the major ammo makers have a few laods for it and it is less expensive. Plenty capable of any game on this continant too.
if you are yo relaod, I'd even sugegst maybe a .458 Win mag #1. heavier than the .45-70 one a dn you can load down to .45-70 levels while still being quite capable of the full .458 loads should you decide to head to Africa.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Maine Shooter

Wanted one for quite a while now. Mostly just for a plinker and for the classic style rifle with the classic cartridge.
Exactly the reason i want one. Its a classic rifle that i've wanted ever since i was little.

Also, as i said before this will be my first gun purchase from a retailer and im wondering how it all works. If the retailer doesn't have what im looking forcan they order it from the factory for me? Or do i have to order it from the factory myselfand have them send it to the retailer?Or doesit just vary from retailer to retailer?
Old 10-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

Cabelas has 405 ammo for around $37, and there is a #1 stainless laminate on gunbroker goin for just a little over $500. I have 3 of them ,one 405,a 45-70 and a 22-250. They are the only guns I own that would never be sold or traded.Of the 3,I enjoy the 45-70 the most,I have taken 4 bears with it and have never had to track one.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

What about the H&R Handi Rifle in 45-70? You can pick one of those up for around $200 and they are supposed to shoot reasonably well.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like my Ruger 1 in 45-70 and it is a cupcake to shoot with factory loads. It will get you out to 100 easy. Ballistically, 8 million dead buffalo can't be wrong. And they are huge beasts, known to get up to 3k. They are also truly thick skinned game.

I use a Burris signature safari scope, for when I crank in a heavier load. Good eye relief! The #1 will handle really stout loads, and kick accordingly. I shoot really heavy loads from the stand. I zero from a heavy camera tripod. Bench shooting an elephant rifle gets brutal fast. Both Buffalo Bore and Garrett have heavy rounds for sale.

The 338 is really a different round. It is designed to reach out and hit hard at longer ranges. It starts in the 200 grain weight class and has significantly more frontal area than the 300 magnums. Much to like there.

Quick Reply: Single shot rifles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.