Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
price ratio: rifle to scope >

price ratio: rifle to scope

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

price ratio: rifle to scope

Old 01-10-2003, 03:52 AM

Default RE: price ratio: rifle to scope

i agree with PaJack...

a gun is good as it's optics. even if i would buy a cheaper gun like a savage or remington that cost less than $600.00 i would still spend $300.00 atleast for good quality mounts, rings and a scope to match that rifle.
i have found out it is worth the extra $$$ and your groups will show if you do your part.

Old 01-10-2003, 07:06 AM
Fork Horn

bigcountry is one of the few that uses his scope like I do. If you start cranking around on those tascos, cheap bushnells, simmons, BSA'S, etc.... I can almost guarantee it will not return to zero every time. I use Leupolds and have no problems starting at 100yds and walking mine all the way out to 1000 yards, and back to 100yards.
In the days before affordable laser rangefinders, I could see tha arguement for cheaper optics, but if you are gonna play at longer ranges, you better get a good scope!

Old 01-10-2003, 10:45 PM

Leupold Vari II is my minimum. The 3x9 is right at $200 and they sell a ton of them. The more elk hunters I talk to, the one thread in common is that while they may not agree on caliber, they do tend to agree on scopes, Leupold -- there is too much at stake when it comes showtime!

EKM

Good judgment comes from bad experience! Half of elk hunting is knowing what NOT to do!
Old 01-11-2003, 06:53 AM

On a differant board there is a thread going about having to tap the Leupolds after making adjustments. These are long range shooters so after thye Leupolds get a little age on them they do give a little trouble. These people did not say that the scopes would not return to orignal zero but you might want to give the scope a tap to make sure that everything moved.
Old 01-11-2003, 07:17 AM

A $100 gun will kill just like a $1000.00 gun. Optics make the difference. Spend your money on opticts. Another thing to do is take your rings to a machine shop & have them lapped, believe me this can & will make a difference.MR300, I think the reason you have to tap a Leupold(which is what I shoot)is because of the tightness of the springs.Trashcos,Simmons,Bsa's are IMO junk.They are suited for mild recoiling rifles,put them on a mag(which I shoot 7mm.)& they will not stand up to it.After tapping a Leupold it hits & stays constant,I have one that has been atop a 7mm.for 23 years,the only time it moves is when I move it.Bushnell, & Nikon make less expensive scopes which I think are better than Trashcos,Simmons,& BSA's. Optics make it happen that is where your money should be spent.
Old 01-11-2003, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with most of the others. The optics make the gun...period.
Camp...if you are looking for a good scope at a reasonable price...look at the Leupold VXII. Probably the best scope for the $. Nikon's are very nice also...and reasonable. You can spend a ton of money on optics, but you don't neccesarily have to. I would say that you could get a very nice scope for $200-$300. Just do yourself a favor, and don't go cheap. You will eventually upgrade, so you might as well do it now. Most people that claim that there is no difference in a high quality and a low quality scope...(ie: a tasco, simmons, etc...vs leupold, nikon, etc). It's obvious that those folks have never owned a high quality scope. It's night and day. Good luck

Old 01-11-2003, 11:39 AM

ELKampMaster...

where are you getting VX II's for that price? mine cost me $285.00

Old 01-11-2003, 12:50 PM

Quilly, I can get the VariX II for $229.00. Another point,ever notice how people always say "I looked at both & it was just as clear as the Leupold" or "I could'nt tell the difference between it & the Leupold". Everyone compares them to Leupold for one simple reason...Leupold is the high standard in the industry.
Old 01-11-2003, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Spend alot on the rifle, spend only what you have to for a scope. When you get the money, you can upgrade the scope, and your rifle will still be top of the line.

Would a remington 710 with a 700 dollar leupold scope be as good of a gun as a browning or tikka with a 60 dollar bushnell scope?

"Hey ya'll, watch this"