Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Rem 710 vs Sako >

Rem 710 vs Sako

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rem 710 vs Sako

Old 01-10-2003, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rem 710 vs Sako

I was in a gun shop the other night where on the used rifle rack sat a rem 710 30-06 next to a Sako 30-06. I was curious about the rem 710 from what I've heard from this and other forums.Suffice to say that everything I've read about the 710 that didn't originate from Remington has been correct. I picked it off the rack. The first thing I noticed was that the bolt was dificult to close and sticky, it was very difficult to cycle the bolt while the rifle was shouldered. The stock looked cheesy and cheap, the rear of the bolt had a plastic cap where a normal bolt would have a steel bolt shroud further cheapening the look. The Sako looked like it was made on a completely different planet. Though I'm no fan of synthetic stocks, the stock looked well made and very sturdy. The metal working looked supurb and the bolt had a feel that was slicker and more positive than anything I've seen so far. Though the Sako was priced at nearly 3x that of the Remington, I feel the price difference is well worth it.
I wonder if it wasn't the store owner's sense of humor that placed these two rifles next to eachother on the rack.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms... who's bringing the chips?
Old 01-10-2003, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rem 710 vs Sako

That's the difference between the crappiest gun on the market and one of the best. Both would work, but then again so would a spear if that's all you had. Alot of people down here in Georgia use the 710 as a hog hunting rifle. They buy them and beat the heck out of it, until it breaks. I also don't prefer a synthetic stock, it feels like a cheap toy rather than a serious hunting rifle.

"Hey ya'll, watch this"
Old 01-11-2003, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rem 710 vs Sako

i played with the 710 and the action was stiff as could be...it shoulder like garbage and the stock was junk..i could prolly snap it over my knee...id never consider it...i believe in saving every penny until you have the money to get the rifle YOU want instead of getting a cheap one because its there and its cheap...cheap is cheaply made...i dont want to shoulder my rifle on a monster buck i hunted all season for it to go click and the firing pin snap or throw the first shot because of nerves and because the gun dont shoot for beans then after the shot it stays there allowing for a second but your action falls apart...just not me...i have faith in the mauser i carry deer hunting..i know it shoots great and holds its zero and nothing will happen to it if i take care of it...if you can its usually best to save your pennys instead of buying the cheap rifle...