Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 trap/ skeet question? >

trap/ skeet question?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

trap/ skeet question?

Old 09-11-2007, 04:58 PM

Default trap/ skeet question?

I did not know which forum to put this question in, so Im sorry if i posted in the wrong spot.

I feel a little funny asking this question seeing thatI have been hunting and shooting for about 12 years now.

Can people MAKE money in trap and skeet shooting events?

I have always been interested in trap shooting. When I lived back in New York state I was a member of a gun club that had a decent trap shooting set up. It alsohad competitions all the time. I used to love to go and watch. I used to meet people from all over the country.I remember times when almost every state was represented.

Now thatI live here in rhode Island I miss upstate New york. It sure is a lot different here. I live in a city now. When I lived in upstate NY I used to deer hunt about 2 miles from my house. That isn't happening here.

Anyways, I would like to get into trap or skeet or maybe both. Any help or advise will be appreciated.
thank you
Old 09-11-2007, 05:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: trap/ skeet question?

Yes and no. If your good and win then yes, if you are just average then whatever money you do win will just go right into ammo, entry fee's, travel expenses, shotgun, etc...

But don't let that stop you, just go out and have some fun!!
Old 09-11-2007, 06:38 PM

[/align]Only the top 1% are making money at skeet. You can win your money back sometimes but thats even hard to do. So if your not shooting 4x4's or 5x5's your not goint to make money.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Site Bouncer

My father shot competition Trap and Skeet for the better part of 30 years. In his prime he was pretty good and won many tournaments. He has trophies and patches for 250 and 500 (in a row without a miss) scattered about the basement.

He won money, but back then there was nothing to be made. Just enough to cover your reloading supplies, maybe gas and food too. He did it because he loved to shoot.

Today, with the rise of sponsors you might just make a few dollars butyougotta be good....real good in order to get their attention. Other than that be prepared to come out in the red.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:41 AM

Start bugging the local shops for sponsors. If you win enough local stuff, they might sponsor you enough to get to a higher level and the attention of the big boys for more money. Worst case scenario is you enjoy your weekends while spending your own money.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:22 AM

Its very tough to make money. Equipment costs will eat up any winnings. Especially, when you look at the cost of shotguns. and like most things there is always something better than what you own. Trust me I speak from experience.

If you want some advice, I give you a little. Don't get into it to be the best or to win money. get into it to have some fun.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to shoot a LOT of trap. About yhe only wat you can make ANY money is to be darn good at it, and then youmay get back entry fes, cost of transportation, ammo, your food, etc. The most money is usually made at club events called Calcuttas, where you as a shooter are auctioned off to a buyer. The better you are and known, the higher you go for, and most places will let you buy yourself. If you win or place in the money, you get half of the winnings, the buyer gets the other half. I once won a fairly large shoot and hadn't bought myself, as it was a place I'd never shot before, and was unfamiliar with it, Go figure.
Another money shoot is a thing called "Oakleys", where three shooters at a time pull up from the 26 yd.line. The first shooter calls for the bird. If he misses, the second shooter tries to break it. If he misses, the third shooter gets a shot. If you shoot and miss and the shooter behind you breaks it, you're out. It's a game of elimination. You win the pot minus the cost of the birds. Obviously, the more shooters you have and the more it costs to enter, the bigger the pot.
Once again, you better be DARN good.