HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - trap/ skeet question?
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Pawildman
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: trap/ skeet question?

I used to shoot a LOT of trap. About yhe only wat you can make ANY money is to be darn good at it, and then youmay get back entry fes, cost of transportation, ammo, your food, etc. The most money is usually made at club events called Calcuttas, where you as a shooter are auctioned off to a buyer. The better you are and known, the higher you go for, and most places will let you buy yourself. If you win or place in the money, you get half of the winnings, the buyer gets the other half. I once won a fairly large shoot and hadn't bought myself, as it was a place I'd never shot before, and was unfamiliar with it, Go figure.
Another money shoot is a thing called "Oakleys", where three shooters at a time pull up from the 26 yd.line. The first shooter calls for the bird. If he misses, the second shooter tries to break it. If he misses, the third shooter gets a shot. If you shoot and miss and the shooter behind you breaks it, you're out. It's a game of elimination. You win the pot minus the cost of the birds. Obviously, the more shooters you have and the more it costs to enter, the bigger the pot.
Once again, you better be DARN good.