Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
favorite action for stalking game ? >

favorite action for stalking game ?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

favorite action for stalking game ?

Old 01-08-2003, 04:24 AM

Default favorite action for stalking game ?

i tried this year to use my browning mdeallion chambered in 30-06sprg with a 3-9X40mm luepold on it. found it (for me ) rather hard to bring my gun to my shoulder to focous on a object quick enough.
i have used levers but seem to have a problem cycling the action and end up brining the gun off my cheek to do so.then brnging it back up to my cheek again. as for the pump it was nice but the way the forearm stock was so far up front i had to put my hand on the area where the magazine is to steady the gun for my liking.
so i ended up speacial ordering a BAR MKII in 30-06sprg and tend to put a wiliams peep sight since i find it easier under close ranges to aquire the target easier.

out of all the actions you have tried what do you perfer?

Old 01-08-2003, 04:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: favorite action for stalking game ?

For that type of hunting I would lean toward the Remington Pump. I have had a couploe of these guns. For me they are fast to bring into action and the sights are fair for quick shots. Also I have never had one malfuntion in any way with factory loads.

Old 01-08-2003, 05:13 AM

I think it is a function of how the rifle fits you more so than action type. I have bolts that fit me like a glove. I have a pump that fits me like a glove. I also have rifles that don't. Sounds like you bolt might not fit you that well.

That being said, I like pumps also for the situation you describe.
Old 01-08-2003, 05:35 AM

Quilly,
It's my Marlin 336 in 35REM for that purpose. It's equipped with a Williams peep sight. To me, it's a pleasure to carry in thick terrain.

Old 01-08-2003, 06:04 AM

If your concern is that you find yourself taking the rifle off your shoulder to cycle the action you may indeed find that a pump is best for you as James B recommended. I have never used a pump action rifle myself but have certainly used pump shotguns and never needed to drop them down to cycle them. I miss my old Ithaca.

When it comes to my rifle however I have only had the need to fire a second shot the one time I went on a moose hunt. With that in mind I typically find myself firing the one shot, dropping the rifle to get a good clear view in order to assess the situation while cycling the action at the same time just in case. It works for me. At the same time I think the standard sights on the 1895SS allow for quick target acquisition so if needed the second shot would be easy enough to take.

Of course probably the best action for not having to pull the rifle away would be a semi-auto although some seem to shy away from them for hunting purposes. They always worked great for me through the years until I went to my lever action Marlin for all my hunting.

"The right of a nation to kill a tyrant in case of necessity can no more be doubted than to hang a robber, or kill a flea."
John Adams