Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ruger 10/22 beginner >

Ruger 10/22 beginner

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger 10/22 beginner

Old 08-26-2007, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default Ruger 10/22 beginner

I am looking at getting a Ruger 10/22 and customizing it with a thumbhole stock and getting the best barrel I can get. I have a couple questions though because I am very new to this gun what is the best cartridge for it? I want to have some range so I thought about going to the 22 mag. If I went with that what barrel should I get? Whats the best twist rate? Will a 17 caliber be more accurate? I am really looking to just having some fun with this but who knows if its real accurate maybe I will do some plinking.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:40 AM
Spike

Default RE: Ruger 10/22 beginner

.22 rifles are usually a little finicky about what ammo they like. Your best bet is to re-barrel it, free float the stock, put in a target hammer and increased power spring, and then go out and shoot a bunch of different types of ammo to see what works well in your rifle.

My 10/22 (with the above mods) shoots Wolf match .22LR into one-hole groups at 25 yards all day.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ruger 10/22 beginner

Firs, if you want .22 mag or the .17 HMR you'll need the 10/22M not the standard and currently available 10/22. The regualr 10/22 can be converted to .17M2 though. Now then...
Having played the 10/22 game for quitea while, completed 4 builds andin the midst of 4 other builds I can say your best bet is to go to www.Rimfirecentral.com and read, read, search and read. ANYTHING 10/22 has been asked and answered there more than once. It's THE home for 10/22 anything.
To add my opinions on parts/pieces...You gotta decide what you want, looks, performace or both as a priority. That'll give an idea of what your budget would require. Now set your budget to spend. You can go base level, middle of the pack or topflite.
For a stock, look at all the chocies available and what style of shooting each is suited for. Some work well for multiple styles while others are suited for just one. I prefer the lamiantes from Boyd's or Revival.
BBlsphew, there's a ton of choices here. Green Mt. is the best bang for the buck. You won't get the lightweight ones from them though (AERO the exception). I prefer the Whistle Pig bbls. Very accurate and they also have great finishes available and great customer service.
Triggers, again, a ton of choices. You can do the DIY kits but for about the same money I would highly reccommend sending the whole assembly to TT Shooter for his re-work. Much better results. On the next tiers, you have Jard and the Kidd - the creme de la creme.
Those are the main areas. Everything lse is simply fashion.

I want to have some range so I thought about going to the 22 mag. If I went with that what barrel should I get? Whats the best twist rate? Will a 17 caliber be more accurate? I am really looking to just having some fun with this but who knows if its real accurate maybe I will do some plinking.
What range are you wanting to shoot? The .22lr is quite capable out to and with the right set-up, past 100 yrds. If you match the peferred load to the gun, the .22lr is just as capable as the .17's. My .17M2 10/22 will easily shoot 1/2" w/o a lot of effort at 50yrds. the .22lr ones will do that just as easy. They'll do slightly larger groups at 75 and 100 yrds. Unless you prefer the heavier bullets or very light ones, the twist rates are pretty standard on these bbls. It's the last sentace that confueses me. You want "the best barrel I can get" yet you want it "just for fun but if it's accuarte, for plinking". Ummm, if you just want fun, which I read as spray-n-pray shooting, even the POS Butler creek bbls will work. If you do however want an accuarte shooting firearm, get a good bbl.

Like I said, cjeck out Rimfire Central. Any specific questions, shoot an IM this way and I'll help however I can.