Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
is it enough? >

is it enough?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

is it enough?

Old 01-05-2003, 11:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: is it enough?

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
A caution on the 300WSM regarding the recoil. Some of the manufacturers are really getting the weight down on their WSM rifles, which can noticeably add to the felt recoil. I do think the 300WSM is something to consider.

I don't know that I'd agree that the 300WSM has put the 30-06 &quot;in the back seat&quot; though. While I don't own the 300WSM I think it's a viable alternative. The 300 win mag has been around longer, has nice balistics, and has more ammo variety and availability. If that hasn't stopped the 30-06 I don't think the WSM will.

Have you thought about taking a bigger step up, perhaps to the 338?
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

No disrespect intended to the .30-06 or the .308. Just meant to say the .300 WSM seems to have a ballistic advantage over them, at least on paper. It will never supplant the .30-06 in the minds of American hunters.

Good Dogwork and Good Hunting
Old 01-06-2003, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ElkampMaster....I'm with you on this one. If you truly believe you need more muscle than a .270, then get it!!! I'd go for the .338Win Mag. Unless you go somewhere where there's a caliber restriction, I'd not be afraid to use it on the biggest stuff on the planet!!

Thousands of elephants have been taken with a lot less rifle than that!!!

Bullets from 180 grain to 300 grain make it a fairly versatile rifle and while it'll wake you up sitting at the bench sighting it in, it's not that bad in the field hunting elk!! Most of my friends have dropped their .270 for .338 Mags for elk hunting and they all say it was a good decision!!
Old 01-06-2003, 07:28 PM

Yes; 30 cal is darn hard to beat.. The .308 with a 150gr ball , a muzzel vel. of 2820, will have 1640lbs of energy left at 300yds. You can have fun with a 308 because there is a boatload of different bullets to load in .30cal

ALL DAY, EVERY DAY,IN THE WOODS...