Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What's with the bias against Weatherby?? >

What's with the bias against Weatherby??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What's with the bias against Weatherby??

Old 08-14-2007, 12:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What's with the bias against Weatherby??

the only common ground is that everyone would have one if they did not have to fork out the money, so they satisfy themselves by buying something they can afford and base their argument on these premise
I can promis you that Weatherby MK-V would be one of the very last rifles on my list of $1000+ rifles to purchase.

I have shot tooooooo many of them that did not produce acceptable accuracy and for a rifle that costs what they do a 1.5moa guarantee is crap.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:16 PM

bigbulls--did you ever consider that the problen could be you? if you have shot a good number, as you claim. and could not get them to shoot well, maybe you should accept some schooling on the art of shooting.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

the only common ground is that everyone would have one if they did not have to fork out the money, so they satisfy themselves by buying something they can afford and base their argument on these premise
B.S. I own several rifles that cost as much or more than a mark V,and all are much more accurate.But I also have owned many rifles that were much more accurate than my mark Vs and cost much less.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:15 PM

I own three Weatherby Vanguards in different calbers. Two with black syn.
stocks, and one new one with a beautiful walnut stock.
They may be a Howa, butI love these three rifles and the accuracy they produce.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ok, this discussion has stemmed some questions...Are the HOWA Vanguard rifles freebored for the WBY Calibers??? Also is the wood on the Howa Vangard crap also??? Just wondering...
Old 08-14-2007, 07:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not true, I forked out the money and got the shaft. No more Weatherby's for me unless its the Howa.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

bigbulls--did you ever consider that the problen could be you? if you have shot a good number, as you claim. and could not get them to shoot well, maybe you should accept some schooling on the art of shooting.
Let me assure you that I am absolutely capable of shooting a rifle and know how to make one shoot that can't.

But you go ahead and keep making personal attacks with out knowing me, my experience, or my knowledge of firearms. It also doesn't seem thatI am alone in my opinions and experiences.

Remember, It is better to keep ones mouth shut and let everyone think you are a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Just oneshining example is a Remington 700 ADL I bought for my daughter for her birthday in .243 Winchester. I cost a whopping $305 after taxes and gun call. I can easily shoot 3/4 inch groups with that rifle with Federal blue box 100 grain soft points. This is right out of the box, no trigger work, no bedding work, no free floating the barrel, nothing done to this rifle at all.I have seen very few Weatherby MK-V'sthat will shoot this well.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Typical Buck

I would say that the vast majority of hunters/shooters have never even held a Weatherby, much less shot them. Thus they have no understanding of what a "Weatherby" really is. I am talking Weatherby's, not Vanguards. Price is a factor as well, as most hunters/shooters can't and won't justify spending $1-1.5K for a rifle.

My favorite Weatherby is my Mk-V .257 Wea. It has killed tons of game and critters. Never shot a single factory round in it, every round that has been fired in it has been my handloads. It was true legitimate.5 MOA shooter forabout the first 2.5-3Krounds, then accuracy started dropping off as the groups started opening up. However, it is not "out-of-the-box". I have pillar bedded, reworked the trigger, and floated the barrel.

Bottom line, a Weatherby rifleis, what it is. Yes, there are rifles out there that will out shoot them. Weatherby has never had a reputation as being the most accurate rifle "out-of the-box". There are 3 major reason why one buys a Weatherby rifle; 1. overall quality and looks(fit, finish, etc.), 2. the ballistic and terminal performance of a particularWeatherby round, 3.the Weatherby name

Weatherby has a 1.5MOA accuracy guarantee on their rifles, for 3 shots at 100yds. Most of the Waetherby's I have shot over the years, with few exceptions, would meet that.The few that wouldn't meet that, shot in the 2-2.5MOA range, which is still MOWT (minute-of-whitetail), but not what you expect from a $1.5K rifle.

With all that being said, go look on your local gun store shelves for a Remington 700, a Browning A-bolt, a Winchester 70, a Ruger M77, or a Savage, chambered in .240 Wea, .257 Wea, .270 Wea, .340 Wea, .378 Wea, or .460 Wea, and come back here and let us know how that particular rifle shoots. I beleive heII will be frozen before we get a report on that.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have no weatherby experience but if I paid $1.5k for a rifle and all it could do was 1.5" at 100 I would be flaming pissed. Even if it was consistent at 1.5". Call me an accuracy snob but for that kind of money it better shoot under an 1" consistently. Especially since my muzzloaders shoot better than that.

Tom
Old 08-15-2007, 11:09 AM

Last reply on this subject!!!!!!!!!

I fell into the trap that many others have, I argued on the internet. Some people have nothing better to do then to put others down. So on that note, I will say this and be done with this subject.

You but a remington or any other because youHAVEto have itto hunt with a rifle. You buy a Weatherby because you WANT to have it to hunt.

Also, arguing on the intenet is like competing in the special olympics, even if you win you are still a..........well you know. Case closed!!!

Quick Reply: What's with the bias against Weatherby??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.