Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
What rifle to get!!!!!!! >

What rifle to get!!!!!!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What rifle to get!!!!!!!

Old 01-01-2003, 08:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What rifle to get!!!!!!!

My wife has taught me to be practical. This being the case I have gone to buying just Remington ADL synthetics. They are chambered in a lot of calibers and they sell for 379-399.00 where I live. Same action as the other 700 Rems. I have just lately got a 257 Roberts and a 22-250. I am still going to pick up a 223 in the same gun for my wife as I have tons of reloading stuff for 223. I love the Savage rifles for the way they shoot but the triggers are just awful. I have a Savage in 260 Remington. Shoots like a dream but the trigger is a nightmare. It is going to the gunsmith for a new Timney trigger. I have a 6.5x55 Swede with a timney trigger. It don,t get no better than that. A feiend of mine borrowed my 260 and took a real nice 5x5 bull Elk with it He used one of my reloads for it. 140 Grain Barnes X bullet. It broke both front shoulders and exited. Still there is very little recoil in the 260. It comes in the model 7 and the ruger light wt. as well. If you still have room for another gun thats all the reason you need to get one.

Old 01-01-2003, 11:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Absolutely easy decision here.....Winchester Model 70....Pick your caliber.....but if it don't have a three position safety, leave it in the store.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:05 AM

Well Pauly' sounds like you should go with the Remingtons. You said you like the way they feel and I don't think anybody will doubt their quality. It's something you are already familiar with. I am not a stickler for looks so the Savage works for me. Yes the triggers blow but that for the out-of-the-box accuracy, I can work with it. Plus it is available with a real wood stock. I don't like the feel of synthetics. Also, I don't think there is such a thing as an "ugly" gun.

Bottom line, find what feels good and looks good (in that order) to you and buy it. Seems like you already know the answer to your question.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:49 AM

I would pick a ruger compact in 260rem or a winchester or a savage before i buy another remington rifle . JMHO

Old 01-02-2003, 07:20 AM

I have been using a Model 7 SS in 7mm-08 for deer size game for 5 years now, and I think it an excellent choise. I use factory Federal 140gr Nosler Ballistic Tips.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:40 AM

One more vote for the rifle you like. Friends have the M7 in 7mm-08 and love them. Like stubblejumper stated, most are right around MOA or better with handloads. Factory ammo is also getting easier to find here. Excellent for a small, lightweight rifle.

As an aside, I own several and LOVE my Sakos. But some people do not like the feel of the stock, especially the palm swell. It fits me fine but one more thing to consider. I believe some of the Tikka's have the same stock design.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:41 AM

Caliber selection is the easy part. 7mm-08, light recoil, plenty of energy and accurate. For rifles take a look at the little Winchester rifle. I think its called a compact. No, I don't have it confused with Ruger; The Ruger Compact is too small for most adults. The Model 7 is also a good choice. I'm a big Browning fan but it sounds like you've ruled them out.
Old 01-04-2003, 05:46 PM

I would go with the old style ruger with the single position safty,since you can't go with the browning,both really good rifes ,get the .308 .good round
Old 01-04-2003, 08:05 PM
Spike

I have a friend who recently purchased a new deer hunting rifle. He went the non-traditional route.......a very lightweight, bolt-action 7mm-08 Steyr with a synthetic stock. It is very accurate and recoil is extremely mild.

I was very impressed, as I would have never even considered this rifle in the running for ones to purchase (being a devoted Remington 700 fan). It sure changed my outlook!