Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Eotech Holographic sights(review kinda) >

Eotech Holographic sights(review kinda)

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Eotech Holographic sights(review kinda)

Old 08-04-2007, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Eotech Holographic sights(review kinda)

anyone use an Eotech?? dad just bought one for his M4A3. too bad he went on vacation this morning. it came in yesterday. i mounted it last night and went to the range today....hey what are sons for??

i really liked it. i got into clicking my distances in with my scope this year when groundhog hunting. the only scopes ive touched that are reliable to do that are my leupolds...they still arent true 1/4moa clicks either..but still reliable. i will tell you what...that Eotech moved true. that impressed me.

i really liked the circle and the dot. quick target aquasition...the dot is SMALL. i think its 1/3 MOA or something like that. but its still very visible. i liked it. shot well for me.

only gripe was shooting at a flo. orange diamond stick on target. i buy the diamonds and just stick them on computer paper..i should made a circle with a marker or something. the red was hard to see on the orange which made it tough to shoot with pinpoint accuracy.

i also liked the 20 different brightness levels. in the dark basement i gotta turn it way low...outside in the sun today i turned it up..no matter where its set it is almost always visible..but you can get it to look real good with a click of a button..

another thing i really liked was the rugged design. you would almost have to TRY to break that thing...

i was kinda shocked at the size of it...but i guess thats because i was used to the cheap flimsy holo sights that are cheap. its not OVERLY large..but bigger than i thought they were(never looked at the size specs..) most of the size comes from the metal housing around the sight.

seems like it would be perfect for its intended use...combat shooting. put your circle center mass and squeeze. if you can see it you will hit it..

curious to see what dad says after he goes shooting with it. hes never been into stuff like that. he was torn between an ACOG and the Eotech..i talked him into the eotech...i dont see the need for an ACOG on an M4 that wont be used out there far...and he really liked the backup flip-up peep sight he ordered with it...that was his big thing...the ACOG didnt need batteries but the Eotech did and he didnt wanna trust and rely on them...and what if he needs it but cant hit the switch or whatever...
Old 08-04-2007, 09:08 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Eotech Holographic sights(review kinda)

I have an eotech on my AR. I like it. Its ok, but don't get great accuracy at 100 yards. There is some parralax in them that far. Not sure it was meant to be a long range groundhog device.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

sorry bigcountry...i dont use it for groundhog hunting..i was comparing it to my Leupold target scope thats on my groundhog rifle, which is the only other scope ive ever touched that clicked true like a scope should...its nice playing with good optics.

it was tooo stinkin hot for me to put up a 100yd target. the bank sign said 96..i dont know if it was THAT hot..but it was hot...and the bugs down at the 100yd target are a KILLER. i just wasnt in the mood for that today lol.

i think for what dad wants from it, it is perfect...if poop hit the fan and he needed the rifle it wouldnt be for shots past 100yds i dont think....

i really think i would seen better accuracy if i would had a different colored target. i just couldnt make out the red and orange...when i seen them together i fired my shot. that dot is small enough to get decint accuracy from i believe...and that particular M4 is new...i dont even know that dad fired a round from it yet...and the ammo i was running was garbage...

Old 08-05-2007, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have one that bounces around in the pickup all the time, great sight. I've removed it probably 20 times and swapped different optics on mine, and it always returns to zero. Great sight, but like bigcountry said, hard to shoot really tight groups with it. Not a problem to keep the bullets in a human torso though. I've shot quite a few coyotes/jackrabbits with mine on the run, great sight for that.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:33 PM

They're a pretty cool add on to a AR carbine. I'm convinced that they must eat batteries while unused. Both a friend and I went through the starter batteries after a few range trips and 3-4 weeks in the gun safe. I pull my batteries when I get back from the range now.

You'll definitely go through the batteries faster with the brightness cranked all the way up. Good to have a few extras around. Like they say, if you're gonna stock up on canned tuna you'd better get a supply of mayonaise as well.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:57 PM
bigcountry

Cal, I didn't know how to turn it off at first as I bought mine used. I was hitting the NV button, and we all know thats night vision. And it stayed on for 2 weeks in NV mode. I have the same AA's in mine for several months now, and have shot with it 4-5 times. Still going strong.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:03 PM

My version uses the N style batteries, no night vision. My buddy has the same setup and figured he'd left his on, then it happened to me. I could've sworn I'd turned it off. It should've turned off after 8 hours on its own.

Just one of those things that had both of us wondering. Its been a while, I'll have to call him and ask if his is still going strong with the new batteries. I'm pretty sure he didn't remove them after the last range trip.

I'm contemplating a AR rifle, 20" barrel. I might put a Trujicon ACOG on that.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mine takes the AA batteries, and I have left it on a few times over nite and turn it on and use it almost on a daily basis and I've had it since January or February on the original batteries.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:50 PM

Have the AA version, great sight