Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How do you keep your guns at home? >

How do you keep your guns at home?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How do you keep your guns at home?

I have many friends who use those big gun safes. I have a cousin who just keeps them in corners and closets. When I lived at home my father had a open gun case in the wall, as well as my grandfather. I grew up knowing I could only look and not touch. I was told guns were like rattlesnakes. Having respect for my family I never went into the case unless Dad or Grandpop said to get a particular gun for him. By the time I was 16 I had finally earned their trust and was able to go in the case.

I never abused that trust and now that I'm 36, married, built my home andhave a 1 yr old son.....I couldn't wait to build an attractive gun case. I enjoy to look at them, and appreciate them(especially some of the older double barrels). I do keep a handful of shotguns and rifles in a gun safe, but keep my favorites in the built in. I know there is a safety concern among some who feel guns should be completely locked up(my wife, but has since then warmed up to it) but I hope to give my son the same values and respect that I had when I was young. I hope he looks into that case and dreams about going out on his first rabbit hunt. At least that what I felt when I was young. I couldn't sleep at night thinking about the next mornings hunt.

I'm curious to see or hearhow others keep their firearms.

Here's a picture of the case I just had built.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you keep your guns at home?

another..

Old 07-25-2007, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

When I lived in the sticks I had 2 cabinets that locked but weren't and bed sides . Here in the city now all are locked away save the bed sides through nightly rituals of heading to bed. I hate the stinkin' city ready to go back to the sticks .
Old 07-25-2007, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOADED-TOM.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:54 PM
Fork Horn

Nice cabinet there. We have to metal gun safes and a cabinet.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I keep mine in one of those big, heavy, bulky bank-vault type fire-resistant gun safes that is in a reinforced concrete room with a barred window and a padlocked steel door, like the arms room at your local Army post. This is not to keep kids and relatives from touching them, but to make it take longer for thieves to remove them. I used to keep them in a couple of nice displatycases, but there are too many banditos in this part of the country. (BUT, NOT in NJ, eh??)

If I ever moved back to the wilds of Alaska, I might put them back in glass-front cases. The casesI really like are the "Lazy-Susan" type with only one narrow littledoor, and a spool that holds the guns like a Mannlicher-Schoenauer magazine holds cartridges. (The gun racks at my local Walmart resemble this type.)These take up very little space for the number of guns they can hold......
Old 07-26-2007, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice woodwork.

Tom
Old 07-26-2007, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice looking cabinet. I have a big safe. My kids have all started shooting at a very young age to teach them respect for guns. The safe is not for them it's for theives and fire.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I store mine in a safe.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

I keep mine in one of those big, heavy, bulky bank-vault type fire-resistant gun safes that is in a reinforced concrete room with a barred window and a padlocked steel door, like the arms room at your local Army post. This is not to keep kids and relatives from touching them, but to make it take longer for thieves to remove them. I used to keep them in a couple of nice displatycases, but there are too many banditos in this part of the country. (BUT, NOT in NJ, eh??)

I do, to a point, have a slight concern forthe banditos, and yes there's plenty of them in NJ.

Without getting into detail, I have pretty elaborate security system. I guess I feel a little more comfortable knowing there's always someone around. My parants, grandparants, uncle, cousins, and brother all live around me on the same farm land and adjoining farmland. There's alot of eyes and ears. My business is across the street, and my grandmother is constantly watching me with the binos![&:]It's nice having family around.............sometimes. ( I gotta get her to stop with the binoculars, it gets a littlecreepy)

Quick Reply: How do you keep your guns at home?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.