Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How do you keep your guns at home? >

How do you keep your guns at home?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How do you keep your guns at home?

Old 07-26-2007, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you keep your guns at home?

Did eldequello say eh? Must be longing for the wide open spaces of Canada or is it our quality ice cold barley sandwiches? Just funning. I keep all of my guns in steel safes. Even though both my boys are shooters and have lots of experience with them I just feel safer having them locked up with me the only one with access. Also, it is much harder for a home intruder to walk off with a safe fun of guns weighing hundreds of pounds.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 52 gun Heritage "fire proof" safe.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

In a gun rack in my closet, and when I'm not in my room, my door is usually locked. They're all locked of course.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:32 PM

Some are on the wall with my bows, my A-5 stalker is in my bedroom against the wall and I have a couple others in my closet.

Gun rack

I don't keep any of them loaded and rarely have ammo in the house. I do have box of 12 ga turkey loads in my bedroom that I can throw in the A-5 real quick if I have to. At this point the kids seem to have no interest in them, if that changes I may have to change my tactics a bit.

Paul
Old 07-26-2007, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a cannon safe that is bolted down to the floor. It is fireproof for up to an hour, and is resistant against drilling, sledge hammer etc.. The thing I like the most about the safe is the hinges are on the inside. It gives me piece of mind knowing my guns are secured.

I think your gun cabinet is a work of art, but I couldn't imagine losing all those firearms to burglars or a fire. Just get a rider policy on your homeowners.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I keep my guns lightly oiled and in lockable lockers. I only have 4 lockers - HOMAK is the name I think. They are sufficient but by no means top quality. They are of sufficient guage steel however to make a burgular have to work for it. Each has 2 locks, and I keep them both thrown. Each is cross bolted to the others and they are all deeply lag-bolted into 2 x 4 wall studs in the basement.
I know that all these steps will only make it more difficult and not impossible for me to be ripped off, but I can't afford one of the really good lockers that costs thousands of dollars.
My most expensive gun-stock-scope-sling combo doesn't exceed $1000.00 and most wouldn't fetch more than a few hundred....but some are priceless to me.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:41 PM

I built a 8x30 concrete room in my basement when the basemant was built, with a 1/4 inch steel door and a number of high security locks.....If you get in, the safes are too big to get out! This room also doubles as my Twister shelter and the dogs and I will be just fine. I can clean the rifles when the twister goes by. My advice is topurchase thebest security system you can afford. Build a good system and you will save many dollars in insurance floaters. Thieves only spend a few minutes in a house....make them suffer. Regards, Rick.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have them locked up in a safe...
Old 07-26-2007, 06:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

very nice case! i like that!!

myself and dad keep our 50+ guns in closests, under the bed, bedside, corners of my room etc...we dont have kids wandering around...noone is in our house that we need to worry about...if we did, well...it would be a different story for sure. dad never left his guns around like we do now when we were growing up. he had them put away where us kids couldnt get them. dad isnt as bad as i am. his pistols are up on the shelf in his closet and the long guns are under his bed or in the gun closet. we have a closet full of guns and ammo and another one full of ammo plus the ammo we both have in our rooms...my room is a mess...youd get hurt trying to get one of my guns before you got it lol. but i am sloppy..bedside, corners, under the bed...i know that all changes when i got my own younguns runnin around...
Old 07-26-2007, 09:36 PM

Back at my parents house I have a really nice oak gun cabinet I built myself. Has glass on 3 sides, a rotataing 8 gun caddy, and an ammunition storage area below the guns. At the place I live during the summer, I put them in the closet, under the bed, etc. For the place I'll be living this coming year I'm going to purchase one of those cheap 8 gun Stack-On safes to put in the closet.

Quick Reply: How do you keep your guns at home?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.