Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 nother sluggun post... >

nother sluggun post...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

nother sluggun post...

Old 07-23-2007, 05:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default nother sluggun post...

i have a mossberg 500 i dont really use for much anymore. i birdhunt with a winchester model 50 now...i usually deer hunt with my mauser in 3006 but after 9 deer with it and 1 with a 308 i think im just looking for a change of pace. already took up bowhunting and flintlock hunting...so i stay busy...but i think taking the 500 for deer would be a change. funny thing is, ive owned a rifled cantalever barrel for YEARS. never fired a round through it!

i was thinking of taking my 3-9x40 leupold off the mauser and throwing it on the sluggun for this year...

what rings do i need?? height and style..?

what ammo should i shoot(i know sabots, but weight, good makers, bullet styles etc etc..)

game is deer and im almost always doing drives either sitting or walking or just snooping and pooping(still hunting) on my own...so the slug gun is very suiting i think....so fill me in on rings and ammo and i just might try er out! i think it would be neat...and definently a change of pace...and a good hunting gun for my style of hunting
Old 07-24-2007, 11:09 PM

Default RE: nother sluggun post...

What is the eye releif on your scope. You would be best off with 4 to 5 inches, lest it leave a mark! On ammo you will need to try a few kinds to see which is better. My Mossberg bolt gun likes Lightfields and Breneki super sabots. Neither of which are cheap. I would shop around to see what is easy to get.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot what your gun likes. I tried a bunch before I settled a reduced recoil Remington copper solids. I guess in the end I figured that so many guys are swearing by the 20g I should be just fine with a easier kicking 12g.My 11/87 was a little picky and frankly I am not a big fan of 12g 3 inch slugs. They beat the pulp out of me and make the .308 look like .22
when it comes to recoil.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, not to stray away from the original post but IMO, one of the absolute best "strictly" slug guns is the H&R or NEF single shot slug guns (they're basically the same gun). I have the NEF 20 and withLightfield slugsit will cloverleaf at 50 yards and will be within 2 inches at 100 if I do my part. And the best part is they can be had for under $250 with a good scope on it! Simp