Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Mossberg 12ga Sluggun

Old 11-08-2005, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mossberg 12ga Sluggun

What accuracy can I expect from a 24in rifled barrel? I will shoot a few different sabot slugs to see what shoots the best.

My longest possible shot on the land my club leased is probably 100yds. In the timber, most shots will be 60yds or less.

I'm trying to convince myself that the sluggun is enough and I don't need a muzzleloader. During ML season, I'll just have to bow hunt.

Old 11-08-2005, 06:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Mossberg 12ga Sluggun

ORIGINAL: Leathal Diamonds

What accuracy can I expect from a 24in rifled barrel? I will shoot a few different sabot slugs to see what shoots the best.

My longest possible shot on the land my club leased is probably 100yds. In the timber, most shots will be 60yds or less.

I'm trying to convince myself that the sluggun is enough and I don't need a muzzleloader. During ML season, I'll just have to bow hunt.

Your 12ga should do just fine for those yardages you mentioned. Check your states Reg's! In FL, we can not use shotguns in ML season.

Old 11-08-2005, 08:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just put a Mossberg rifled & ported cantilever slug barrel on one of my Mossy 500's. It came with a 3-9X40 scope on it, boresighted in the package from Mossberg. Shooting 2-3/4" Remingtom BuckHammers, it will tear up a paper plate at 75-100 yards. The scope is not my first pick for a slug gun but for 160 bucks, it will do. (I don't shoot it, it's for one of my nephews to use) I prefer a straight 4X scope (X 32mm) and have 4X's on two H&R Ultra Slug Hunters (one a 20 ga. & one a 12 ga.) but we are practiced to shoot over 100 yards. For alot of shooting under 60 yards like you said, I personally would go with a 2X scope.

Good luck with yours.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:12 AM

I use both, so I will give you my personal opinions on each.

Most inlines will be easier and cheaper to get accurate out to 100 yards and beyond. They are just a PIA to shoot and clean. Also follow up shots are a bit difficult because of the loading process. Most of the inlines should easily shoot 1-1.5 inch groups at 100 yards if you play a little with the charge. Sort of like handloading withought the cases. The down side is the ballistics are simular to a hopped up handgun since most shoot handgun bullets at higher velocities. You could also use the same gun in both gun and ML season in most states.

A slug gun is much cleaner and user friendly in both loading and maintenance. Some can be very accurate when you find the correct load. It might cost you quite a bit to find it though. Premium ammo for a slug gun is VERY expensive, if you are talking sabots. And in my opinion at the ranges you are talking about the shotgun wins hands down in knockdown power and down range energy. Also follow up shots if needed are much quicker and more feasable. However within 100 yards if you put the slug where it needs to be I don't see you needing a follow up shot. Of course the same thing goes for a ML. The down side is you cannot use it in ML season. And where I live you can't use a bow in ML season either. It is for ML's only. I think it is the only season you can't use a bow.

If you took 100 yards out of the equation I think you could even get away with a good smooth bore and rifled slugs. Most shoot prety well out to 70 yards or so. Some even better.

My honest opinion, if you wanted to hunt ML season, I would get a really nice inline and use it in both seasons. That is what I did and then got a nice slug gun later just for shotgun season.

Paul
Old 11-08-2005, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a Mossberg 500 12 ga with a cantilever barrel and a red dot sight. It has always been more then enough for me. I normally keep my shots to about 70 yards or so max. If a deer is 100 yards out thats really pushing my comfort level. I went and shot Remington copper solids/Federals/and Wincheser BRI's yesterday, all 3 brands i was able to put in the middle of a paper plate. Im going to use the BRI's for hunting though.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:46 PM
Typical Buck

I suggest getting a nice ml and using that. I've got a T/C Black Diamond XR and love the gun. I like playing with the loads and get very tight groups at 125 yards. But I cant not go against a slug gun. I started hunt 15 years ago with a Mossberg 500 20 gauge. Its got a rifle bore and shoots BRIs in a nice group at 100 yards. I'm even thinking about taking my 500 out this weekend when the lead first starts to fly in Indiana
Old 11-10-2005, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

A rifled slug gun is perfect for your needs...