Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Looking for a slug gun- input wanted >

Looking for a slug gun- input wanted

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Looking for a slug gun- input wanted

Old 07-21-2007, 08:30 PM
Spike

Default Looking for a slug gun- input wanted

I'm in the market for a slug gun, and don't know much about them. Any input would be appreciated as to which one's are good and which one's to stay away from.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Looking for a slug gun- input wanted

I'm not a slug hunter, but many will dispute whether the remington 870 or a mossberg 500 is better. Both are pump actions that are very affordable. Often they can be found in a combo with a slug barrel and a longer choked shot barrel.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:04 PM

Somebody on here was selling a Tar-Hunt not long ago, I don't know if it sold or not.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been looking to buy one myself, and have been doing alot of research. I have narrowed it down to either a 12 or 20 gauge Encore barrel. I am leaning toward the 20 gauge with the new sabot slugs. I will be putting one of theLeupold's with the B&C reticle. IMO it should be good out to 200 yards. We will see, Tom.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Remington 870! It's the best shooting slug gun i own!
Old 07-22-2007, 09:45 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

You can't go wrong with a 870, put a scope on it your good to 125yrd's or more if your good.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:00 AM

How much do you want to spend and what do you plan on doing with it? Do you want a repeater, or would a single shot be good? Do want it to just shoot slugs or be more versatile?

The savage bolt actions are really nice for the money. The H&R ultra slug guns are very hard to beat for the money. The down side is they are a single shot and on the heavy side. I own one of these myself. Other than that a mossberg 500 or remington 870 with a good cantilever scope mount slug barrel are pretty decent, and you can do more with them if you want. If you want a semi auto the same thing can be done with an 1100 or 11-87.

These are probably the most popular choices you will see. Used I think Marlin and mossberg both had some bolt action slug guns at one time. I couldn't say what the prices would be.

You could also go with a browning BPS, but it will be more expensive than the mossberg or remington. It is a nicer gun though, and the barrels have a faster twist rate and should work a bit better with the newer faster slugs on the market.

Once you get away from these you are talking thousands of dollars or close to it. A browning A-bolt slug gun would be great if you could find one, and afford it. And the tar-hunts are nice, but pretty pricey for a slug gun.

Just depends on what you are looking for. I have seen the remington combo models shoot 2 inch groups or so at 100 yards with a good scope, good shooter and ammo they like. My H&R ultra is not much better than that, just handles recoil better because it weighs a ton and a half.

Oh, I forgot Ithaca deer slayers, I don't know what they run for price now though. They are a pump action dedicated slug gun.

Paul
Old 07-22-2007, 11:15 AM
Spike

I'm probably in the price range up to $300 - $400. I'm looking for accuracy, so I'm probably looking at a rifled barrel firearm. Versatility is not that important of a factor. I'm looking for a gun exclusively for slug hunting. I would prefer a bolt action, but the only choice I can find in my range is the Savage 210F. Other than that, the H&R Ultra Slug seems to be a good choice for a single-shot.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

870 12 gauge with a factory rifled barrel and cantilevered scope mount will shoot 2 MOA at 100yds for me. I like the smooth feel and the thinner grip 'waist' of the Remingtoncompared to the Mossy, but I own both makes.
I like to have a follow up shot in the gun, butcouldn't justify the expense of a semiauto,so I went pump action.

No need to bring your scope up above about 4x since you'll have to limit your shot distance, but get one with as much eye relief as you can find (think 4-6") and mount it up front in the rings. If you decide on a red dot with no magnification, get one with variable dot size. Up close, you'll want to have a larger dot for fast shooting, but you'll want a tiny dot (like 1-3 MOA) when sighting on a deer over 100 yards.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

H&R Ultra Deluxe

Quick Reply: Looking for a slug gun- input wanted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.