Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Colt, Ruger, or S&W? >

Colt, Ruger, or S&W?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Colt, Ruger, or S&W?

Old 07-18-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Colt, Ruger, or S&W?

I want to buy a revolver, probably in .44 mag, maybe .454 Casull.
I am familiar with all three handgun manufacturers, but are there any intangibles that would make me choose one over another.

Things like warrantee, business dealings, who they donate to. Actual construction and materials. That sort of thing.

I'll probably be leaning towards Ruger just because of price. Will scope it and willbe hunting large animals with it.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:35 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Colt, Ruger, or S&W?

I think you will find the S&W and the Rugers to be a bit stronger and I believe will offer the .44mag in more different models than the Colt. I prefer the Rugers because they are built like tanks. You will get good accuracy out of them andthey won't break the bank.

I can't comment on the service end of it because I have never had any of my Rugers (or S&W for that matter) break.

Does Colt even make arevolverchambered in .44mag or 454???? I think they only offer the Python in .357mag and the Single Action Army in .45 long colt, .357mag and 44.40
Old 07-18-2007, 04:16 PM

I haven't actually looked, but assumed Colt did. I had an Anaconda in .44mag a few years ago. Traded it to a guy to give my son his first car. Wish I still had it.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

You could also have a look at Taurus. Made in Brazil, but made well at a fair price.

Personally, if your only intent is hunting, and you are going to scope it, I'd go with a TC contender or Encore.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

IMO you are leaning in the right direction. In 44 Mag, the Ruger is the most durable revolver made with the possible exception of the Dan Wesson. I would pick either the Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter or the Super Redhawk because the come all ready for scope mounting if desired. That is with machined in bases and rings included. I have the Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter with a 2X Nikom scope and I really love it.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess by the pic you know I like the RSRH.That is a .44mag 7.5in barrel and a leuplold 4Xeer scope.That pistol is all you will need for deer ,hog and a comfort in the bear woods.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:34 PM

My primary quarry are elk. But also lopes, bear, deer, and bison or mooseif I can draw.

I have a contender in 30-30 with a Nikon 2X20 EER but think I need a revolver. You know . . . I don't have one . . . so amybe I need one.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:29 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: game4lunch

I haven't actually looked, but assumed Colt did. I had an Anaconda in .44mag a few years ago. Traded it to a guy to give my son his first car. Wish I still had it.
Yeah, I know they used to make a .44 but I'm not sure if they still make the Anaconda anymore. As with anything Colt, your going to spend more money on it. BUT, they will also have a better re-sale value than the other two with the Smith in second and the Ruger bringing up the dead last spot.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:08 PM
Spike

In my opinion, the Ruger winds hands down. I have a SS Redhawk with the 5 1/2 in. barrel,and absolutely love it. If you want a single action, the super blackhawk hunter is also a very good gun. Ruger makes some of the strongest and most reliable hunting handguns on the market, and their not horribly priced (i.e. Colt Annaconda). The Colt is a great gun, but in my book doesn't even compare with the Ruger. Another cheap, good option is the Taurus Raging Bull.