Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Please help value my Colt. >

Please help value my Colt.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Please help value my Colt.

Old 05-02-2003, 10:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default Please help value my Colt.

I just traded some labor for an unfired and boxed Detective Special. It has the 2" barrel and the previous owner bought it new in 1981. It has the ejector rod shroud and blueing is perfect. I wasn' t planning on keeping the gun so what should I sell it for? How much value will it lose if I want to shoot it? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-03-2003, 09:45 AM

Default RE: Please help value my Colt.

for pure shooting pleasue the detectives special isnt going to provide much since its light and uncomfortable to shoot much. 2" barrel means bad accuracy so... seel it and but a larger framed gun to shoot if you want. dont know how much they go for but it will lose a lot of value if you shoot it
Old 05-03-2003, 01:54 PM

I don' t see how this gun is can be all that uncomfortable to shoot since it' s a .38special and a steel frame.
I have a 2-1/2" bbl S&W 66 that I got a few months back and it is a little bit of a handfull with fullpower 125grJHP' s, but not all that bad.
The acuraccy is acceptable for self-defense out to about 25yds, though the 66 has adjustable sights.
I' d recommend getting some rubber grips that fit your hand and start with some basic lead SWC' s, work up to the +p stuff from there.
As long as you hold a steady sight picture you should get adequate accuracy at most reasonable self-defense distances.
Collectors value, honestly don' t know, but since this gun was made awhile it may not be that high even though a Colt and discontinued. I' d find a up to date ' Blue Book of Gun Values' and look in there.
Old 05-03-2003, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh yes a little " D" Frame Colt.The Detective Specials were a great little revolver.6 shots in a small package of 38 spl.It' s a shame Colt chose to discontinue these some years back along with the Diamondbacks, Cobra' s and Agents and Police Positive' s. . In the condition you said I would guess-ta-mate somewhere 400.00 + without researching it.You can get an idea of the going prices looking in www.gunsamerica.com. Go to that site and look under Colt Modern handguns.I' m sure there will be several of them to give you an idea. Keep it unfired and it will bring considerably more.Since Colt' s in general aren' t being released for sale to the general public anymore,prices have soared. Unless you need the cash I would recommend keeping this little jewel.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 05-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I decided to check those DS on gunsamerica. The first page alone has several. They are running used from 375.00 to over 400.00 Nickel bring more.Since yours is assuming NIB would bring a higher price.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 05-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Fork Horn

Ruger Redhawk I appreciate your advice and I might hold onto it for awhile. I usually can' t trade labor but this was for only part of my bill so I' m ok. The main thing is the wife signed off before I did the deal so there' s no hiding this one!! She loved it too!!! We' re keeping it NIB.