Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 New hunters and affordable gear >

New hunters and affordable gear

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New hunters and affordable gear

Old 06-29-2007, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New hunters and affordable gear

I'm sorry,I failed to realize that you know more than me-a gunsmith with 26+ years experience of fixing and building rifles. And hunting with almost 40 years experience,bowhunter since 1977. Not to mention ex competion shooter.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:34 AM
Typical Buck

Good to hear that many have made affordable gear work and respect the experience by merely accomodating it with gear. If I ever have kids, I will certainly be prepared to put things on hold for a bit but will always keep my stuff. EJ
Old 06-30-2007, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was fortunate to be in a family where hunting was a way of life. Growing up, wild game was the meat of choice both because that's what my grandfather had to provide for his family starting up the farm when first coming to this country as well as my father during my early years, that's all that could be afforded. I remember when first moving to the city making the runs back out to the farm to pick up chickens that were carried back to the city alive in the trunk of the old chevy and kept in a old garage till needed. Hunting was done with .22's just because ammo was cheap. My first real hunting rifle was aLee Enfield .303 just because the government was dumping the military surplus and they were cheap. It took 3 years of paper route money, grass cutting money, doing all kinds of odd job saving, to buy the $39 gun (I still have it). That was many years ago and I have watched the amazing growth ofthe multi-billion dollar a year hunting industry. Your post is great because it caused me to reflectas well as show my sons how hard it would be today to startthe hunting life style from scratch. It is something that they will never have to do but it has, I believe assisted them in understanding what I tell them all the time (even though they are great kids,I believe whenI tell them how hard is was starting out they think it's just the old man talking). My older son, 16 this year, will be starting his5th year hunting. He has a PSE bow, cooey .22, Marlin 30-30, Ithica 12 g., and a .50 cal Traditions inline ML all given to him by me (plus all the hunting gear,camo, treestands, etc. as well as a personal guide that has set him up for the last4 years). Well since he has had his first real partime job this year as well as he is now old andexperienced enough tosethimself up for hunting, Dad has now said therest is up to him. He's saved enough over the last half a year to buy his first gun (Browning BPS 12g., sweet gun), and he is half there for new high power (looking at a Savage 7mm mag). My younger son, who will be 12 shortly andwill be hunting this year for the first time already has a .22 Rem. and a Stevens 7-08 with a 3x9x40 Nikon scope (his first real hunting rifle as well as the como and all the other stuff). I had both of them read your post and talkedonce again of how fortunate they are. I think it hit home for the older son told the younger son, "you know how hard it was to save for the new 12 g.". It takes many years to build up the "stuff" as well as many sacrafices (time, money etc.) but keep with it for some day you may be talking to your kids as I do about the difficulties of starting hunting. At that time the difficulties will be fond memories for that is what the lifestyle provides us. Best of luck and I'm sure that all will work out if you keep with it. Buy what you can afford but get into the woods. It willall be worth it.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

Get whatever you can get your hands on and dont worry about trying to be like the big boys. As long as you take of it, it will take care of you.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:55 PM

Gun Drawings Are a good way to get hands on some good guns.
I've won 6 guns over the years from our loacal fire hall.