HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - distructive recoil
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2007, 06:48 AM
eldeguello
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: distructive recoil

ORIGINAL: Roadkillwarrior

I went out to sight in my gun today, my eighty-dollar cheapo, and that is what it seems to be turning out to be. Well, I took my first shot and it hit about five feet to the right. So I adjusted it to the left a lot of clicks and hit about three feet to the right. Seem to be looking pretty good, so I adjusted it alot more clicks untill I had it as far as it would adjust to the right. Took the shot and it is about a foot and a half to the right and I cant adjust it to the left any further. I never would of guessed this would be my problem, never had this problem with even cheaper scopes. Can you explain what I can do, if anything, to fix this. Im going to probably exchange it for a more high quality and high dollar scope. I bought a bushnell banner for my 243 last year and love it and it was about $175.0
Sir, this is NOT a scope problem, it is a mounting problem! A different scope is NOT likely to solve this problem!

You need to center the scope reticle using the internal adjustments, then the scope should be adjusted in the MOUNT so that the scope is pointed as close to the spot the bore is pointing at ("boresighted")as is possible BEFORE you even touchinternal scope adjustment knobs. The internal adjustments are basically for making the last, fine adjustments when you are firing for zeroing.

If your scope is currently mounted in a mount which permits windage adjustments, such as the Redfield Jr.(Leupold) type that has windage screws in the rear mount, this is easy to do. Otherwise, you may need to use shims in the mount to get the scope pointed correctly.

If you can't do this yourself, consult a good gunsmith, or at least a friend who knows how to put a scope on a rifle! It is no big deal, but one does need to have some idea of what the problem is, and how to proceed!