Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 distructive recoil >

distructive recoil

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

distructive recoil

Old 06-26-2007, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default distructive recoil

I just bought a new scope for my 30-06, a Barsika. The guy told me it is made for high powered rifles and should hold up. I was talking to a friend who has had a problem with the recoil destoying the cross hairs. Is there a certain kind of scope I should buy to prevent this?
Old 06-26-2007, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: distructive recoil

I'm not very familiar with the brand you mention. Any "riflescope" should hold up just fine if its worth a lick. That said...you should put your money in your optics. If you get a bargin bin scope...you'll get bargin bin accuracy. Same goes for your mounts.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:37 PM

Yes, one that cost more than 50 bucks. What model did you get? Some of barska's scopes are not too bad, others are crap and you will know it by the price point. No different than a cheap tasco, simmons or BSA, just a different name on the side of it pretty much.

Some of the better ones are popular with rimfires, but I personally wouldn't put one on a centerfire.

If you want a scope that won't break the reticle get one that is etched in the glass. I believe Leupold's are this way. I would assume some other high dollar scopes are the same.

Paul
Old 06-26-2007, 02:49 PM

Just one that's not an el-cheapo, and has good mounts.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't personally know of any quality scope that comes with it's own mounts. How in the world could the manufacturer ever know what you intended to mount it on? Remingtons are different from Winchesters who are different from Rugers, who are different from Savage, etc., etc.
You buy the scope, and then you buy the mounts to fit the gun. The only variatin to the rule that I can think of is if you bought a package deal, gun, scope and mounts pre-assembled.
If you want a decent scope, I advise you to stick to the names that are and have been famous for years for their performance and reliability. Then get a GOOD set of name-brand mounts that aren't crap and have the both professionally installed.
Please don't buy junk. It is only a waste of your money, as you will be disappointed, and end up buying good stuff later on, anyhow after you've already wasted your money.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:05 PM
Typical Buck

Is a $80.0 scope a cheapo? I know it is alot cheaper than alot of them that I was looking at.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roadkillwarrior

Is a $80.0 scope a cheapo? I know it is alot cheaper than alot of them that I was looking at.
Its sad to say, but yes. An $80 scope is a cheapo, and 90% of the time they will fail on a rifle such as a 30-06. The cheapest good quality scope I have found is a Swift. You can usually get a 3-9x40 for around 100-115 dollars, and they will handle it.

If you can, I would take that scope back and upgrade to a Swift, Nikon, Leupold.....
Old 06-28-2007, 12:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Yes, one that cost more than 50 bucks. What model did you get? Some of barska's scopes are not too bad, others are crap and you will know it by the price point. No different than a cheap tasco, simmons or BSA, just a different name on the side of it pretty much.

Some of the better ones are popular with rimfires, but I personally wouldn't put one on a centerfire.

If you want a scope that won't break the reticle get one that is etched in the glass. I believe Leupold's are this way. I would assume some other high dollar scopes are the same.

Paul

barska is actually the company thats makes the lenses for tasco, simmons and weaver.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rammer

ORIGINAL: Roadkillwarrior

Its sad to say, but yes. An $80 scope is a cheapo, and 90% of the time they will fail on a rifle such as a 30-06. The cheapest good quality scope I have found is a Swift. You can usually get a 3-9x40 for around 100-115 dollars, and they will handle it.

If you can, I would take that scope back and upgrade to a Swift, Nikon, Leupold.....
i have a Swift on a Weatherby .300 Magnum with no issues. been shooting this set up for years.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:02 AM

It seems that a arbitrary line in scopes exists where anything under about 200.00 is considered a elcheapO scope. There might be a little latitude in this, but that is a close estimate.

Quick Reply: distructive recoil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.