Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 harris bipod >

harris bipod

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

harris bipod

Old 06-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default harris bipod

some of you guys asked me to review my harris bipod i ordered and got a week or so ago.

i bought the 13-23" non-swiveling model. to me the swiveling model would make the bipod alot less solid and steady.

setup was a breeze. it attaches to a sling stud in seconds and has leather between the gun and the bipod so it wont damage your stock..and it seems to hold it very well.

from 13" i can often shoot prone. the target usually has to be a little higher than me to do so...but i didnt buy it to shoot prone or i would have bought a shorter model. its on a groundhog gun. i generally shoot sitting up to clear the weeds and higher crops im shooting over...

ive shot it from uneven surfaces, hillsides, etc etc...i have no problems with it. if needed, adjusting 1 leg to compensate for a wierd angle is a breeze and can be done with 1 hand if you try..i can get the rifle completely level to level my crosshairs and make the shot.

i really like it. solid and its taken a beating in the 10 days or so ive had it...

heres a pic of it on the rifle

(100yd headshot...hope the pic aint too bad to post...if it is remove it or tell me and i will remove it...)

ps....upto 14 confirmed kills with it so far out to 300yds. couple weeks i'll have the new scope...cant wait. came within inches of one that was 600-800yds away. 4th shot i was CLOSE..it was good safe shooting so i figured why not see how flat the 250 shoots...surprised to see it wasnt all that low at that range..

missed one at about 350 twice now(same one i shot at from 600-800) first day i aimed dead on and was a haiiiir low. second day i aimed a bit high and it was just a bit toooo high. i'll get him!!

love the new rifle and the 22-250 caliber.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: harris bipod

Mauser06 - Thanks for the input. You put a lot of effort into your post. I have a Harris in the shorter model and although it may be OK for groundhogs I don't care for them for big game or for anything that may be moving (coyotes, etc.). That is where the swiveling/pivoting bi-pod comes in handy. I saw an advertisement for one that Stoney Point has now that what looks like a pice that attaches to the swivel stud and you can snap it to the tripod when you need to.
But I think fo rnow I will keep my Cabela's Versa-pod.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: harris bipod

I'll add a lil bit to Mausers post. The same day he bought his new Remington I just happened to buy a new Tikka (almost came home with the same gun he had, but the Tikka was too good of a deal to pass on).

I've had the same Harris bipod as Mauser, and a few others as well. I just bought the 9-13" model I believe they call it for my Tikka. I am 6'0 tall and it is a little too high for shooting comfortably in the prone position if the target is at the same level or lower than me. But it is built like a tank, and adjustments are made easy. I didn't get the notched leg one like I was planning on, but I will have one of those for this fall for another rifle.

Here's a pic of my setup.

I don't have much in field use of it yet, as the mosquitos will carry tou away in the evening hours when I have time to play around. Hopefully, once I get my hay put up I'll be able to do some long range testing and post back with the results.