Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Another Carry Question? >

Another Carry Question?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Another Carry Question?

Old 05-31-2007, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Another Carry Question?

I almostalways buy my guns new from a dealer, now that I bought a couple of used ones from an individual, do I have to register them before I can carry them legal? One of my buddies says yes, the other says no. Any help?
Old 05-31-2007, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Another Carry Question?

Definitely maybe.
I have no idea about Colorado law.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

That sounds pretty ridiculous to me, but you have to check your facts first. Search the Colorado state code for keywords like "conceal" or "concealed" and read the applicable carry laws.

Are you required to register any of your firearms in the state? Seems that if you have the permit to carry, and don't need to register a new pistol bought from a dealer, then you wouldn't have towith anything else. Does this friend of yours knowing anything about guns and carry, or is he being an armchair expert? Just look for yourself so you don't run into trouble down the road.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:07 AM

Check out packing.org, they heve pretty up-to-date information. Some states allow you to carry any handgun with your permit and others require you to register your gun and only carry that particular weapon.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

No you do not have to register any firearms in Colorado and the Colorado carry permit is valid for any weapon you should choose to carry, be it your handguns, knives, mace, tazers, etc...
Old 06-01-2007, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

No you do not have to register any firearms in Colorado and the Colorado carry permit is valid for any weapon you should choose to carry, be it your handguns, knives, mace, tazers, etc...
Thanks bigbulls
Old 06-02-2007, 01:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

I almostalways buy my guns new from a dealer, now that I bought a couple of used ones from an individual, do I have to register them before I can carry them legal? One of my buddies says yes, the other says no. Any help?
It matters not HOW you acquired those guns (assuming you didn't STEAL them!), IF your state requires them to be registered, you mush register them to be within the law. Does CO require handguns to be registered? When I lived there, they didn't. But at that time, handguns were not permitted for hunting. I know that is no longer the case, but don't know about registration. What does the NRA say?? This is right out of your CO lawbook........

CARRYING
It is unlawful to carry a firearm concealed on or about one’s person without a permit, except for a person in his or her own dwelling, place of business, or on property owned or controlled by him or her.

A permit is not required to carry a handgun where carrying firearms is legal, if the handgun is not concealed. A handgun is not considered concealed if it is in the possession of a person who is in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance who is carrying it for a legal use, or the handgun is in the possession of a person who is legally engaged in hunting activities within the state.

Exempt from the requirement of a permit to carry a concealed handgun are peace officers of Colorado, U.S. probation officers, law enforcement officers ......

Looks to me like the answer is NO, you don't have to register a handgun in Colorado. Or any other firearm. But if you have a concealed carry permit, I guess you'd call that a form of registration???? At least the state knows you have a handgun, if you got a permit.....

http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/#?st=CO

Hey Lucky Dog! Whenever you have a question like this, check it out on the National Rifle Association website!

Old 06-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

I looked it up a year or so ago when I sold a shot gun to a friend. I found that you don't have to register the gun if it's sold person to person.

Spud
Old 06-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

From what I gather, there is NO requirement, nor any mechanism, to register any gun of any kind, imposed by the State of Colorado regardless of how or where you buy it.