Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Carry Question? >

Carry Question?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Carry Question?

Old 05-10-2007, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Carry Question?

My 38 revolver has been in the shop for a while now. So I went and bought a S&W Sigma 9mm. It will hold 16 in the clip and 1 in the chamber, and it has no safety. I mean, if you got one in the chamber its cocked and ready to rock. Do you guys keep one in the chamber, or do you leave the chamber empty? In all of my 48 years I've never even needed a weapon to protect myself, but if I were in an emergency situation, seconds could count.

Just kinda thinking out loud.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:27 PM

Default RE: Carry Question?

When I get my permit I willcarry a S&W SW9VE, which also has "no" safety other than the trigger deal.

There will be one loaded simply because I believe an unloaded gun is nothing but a club or door stop. That and I personally do not want tohave to fumble with the slide should my life or that of one I love be on the line. No real mechanical safety makes me a little uncomfortable but it eases my mind to ask myself, "How many guns have pulled their own trigger?"

Just be smart and be safe. After all, the holder of the firearm is the best safety there is.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

My Colt. 380 is carried loaded, cocked and locked.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

When I carry, my 1911 is locked and cocked. Shoulder rig or in small of back....shirt tail out. In the field, .357 in open carry.
Dan
Old 05-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

If it's on me, it's loaded. Gun fights usually happen in a matter of seconds and at close range. There simply is no time to load a pistol in the middle of it, especially when you're in fight or flight mode and are running on little more than adrenaline and your training.

As long as you don't touch that trigger, you'll be fine. All you need for carry is a decent holster that keeps it securedwherever you're carrying it.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

100% says load it up, who am I to argue. Starting tomorrow I'll run with all 17.

Thanks Bryan
Old 05-11-2007, 06:35 AM

I had the same gun in 40 S&W and the trigger is so stiff on them you cant get it to go off unless you actually pull on the trigger. I didnt like the idea of no safety but after taking it in and out of a holster and doing all kinds of different things trying to get it to go off(With nothing in the chamber) and i couldnt i felt alot better about it.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't keep a completely full mag. Actually I change the number of rounds in the gun every week or two. I do this to keep the spring good.I keep one in the chamber for sure.

I read a stat that says the average gun fight is only good for 2.2 rounds. It was a number pretty close to that anyway. So in my 13 round baretta I carry between 8 and 12 on any given week.

Tom
Old 05-11-2007, 11:42 AM
Spike

I agree with the sentiment here I always keep one in the chamber. The best thing to do though is like aught six said and its the same thing I was told when I started carrying , and that is to get a good holster to carry your gun.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mag full, one in pipe...ALWAYS. BTW, my carry is a Glock 23.

Quick Reply: Carry Question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.