Open carry question for AZ >

Open carry question for AZ

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Open carry question for AZ

Old 02-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default Open carry question for AZ

Hey guys! Got a question. My son is enrolled in college in AZ and he asked me about having his handgun there in AZ. I know the law states he cannot purchase a handgun until age 21. (he is not 21 yet) He owns a handgunbut did not take it to AZ due to worrying about the legalities of it. He read that there is an open carry law for AZ but I told him I figured it pretained to all firearms. Meaning he can have a rifle at 18 but not a handgun until he is 21.Can anyone tell me what is the law and if I am interpeting it correctly? He turn 21 in may so it isn't that big of deal but we are both curious. He would love to have a .22 pistol just so he could occasionally go out plinking.
Thanks,
WW
Old 02-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Open carry question for AZ

I know there is a concealed carry law as well, many states have both, or even open carry and not concealed carry, however most would rather have concealed carry law vs open carry as you make yourself a target etc...and worry more people since it's in plain sight.

Here in IL we have waiting periods, but I believe a WI resident could come to a gun show here in IL and take the gun with him that day since his WI laws don't have a waiting period? odd laws like that...

So since his home state he may be allowed to carry/own a pistol may allow him to have one in AZ, though if he is going to college in AZ, usually they consider you a resident of AZ in that case, therefore I woudl think that's how the law woudl be interpreted.... so if he was living in az/going to college there, then he may be able to own/carry a gun, either way, wait until 21, call the police department for the clearest answer I'm sure they would know in AZ.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:16 PM

Default RE: Open carry question for AZ

WWHunter,

I am not a CCW instructor or a lawyer but here is some general info. You can carry in AZ ifthe weapon is visible. If the weapon is holstered, only the holster needs to be visible. If you want to conceal the weapon, you need to have a "Concealed Carry permit". You cannot take the weapon into a bar, a restaurant that serves alcohol,a bank, or any other business that is posted "No Weapons". You can conceal it in your vehicle as long as it takes two actions to get to it. It can be under your seat as long as it is in a holster. You can keep it in your glove box, since that is designated as a cargo carrying area. Handgun purchasers must be 21 years old, so I would imagine that you would need to be at least 21 to carry without an older adult with him.

At ASU, the state's largest university, students may not have any weapons of any type or condition (loaded, unloaded) on the school property. Unless he lived off campus in housing that is not affiliated with the university at all, he would not be able to have the weapon with him or at his place of residence. I'm not sure what college he is attending, but they are probably similar in their stance on no weapons on campus. After the recent college shootings, I think most schools are pretty restrictive.