Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Limbsaver recoil pad? >

Limbsaver recoil pad?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Limbsaver recoil pad?

Old 06-03-2007, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Limbsaver recoil pad?

I have used both pachmyrs and limbsavers on my rifles. At the range I don't notice much difference but at the range I am also using a shoulder impact pad (really helps). Limbsavers are made from a softer rubber and stiffen up quite a bit when you are hunting very cold weather. During hunting season recoil has never been an option. I've taken many deer over the years using a .303 and the brass butt plate never was felt (then again sometimes I was wearing so many lavers of clothes I felt like the little kid in Christmas Story).
Old 06-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: whitetaildreamer

I have used both pachmyrs and limbsavers on my rifles. At the range I don't notice much difference but at the range I am also using a shoulder impact pad (really helps). Limbsavers are made from a softer rubber and stiffen up quite a bit when you are hunting very cold weather. During hunting season recoil has never been an option. I've taken many deer over the years using a .303 and the brass butt plate never was felt (then again sometimes I was wearing so many lavers of clothes I felt like the little kid in Christmas Story).
I agree. I've never felt recoil when shooting at game, no matter what the caliber or weight of the rifle was! However, I do recall seeing where bullets kicked up dust downrange after going THROUGH the game........ but such recollections areSILENT movies - never heard the shot, either!
Old 06-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Typical Buck

eldequello.......

Looking at that load you posted made me look up some loads in some of my manuals.

Hodgdon's "modern high pressure" load for the 45-70 for a 400 gr list 37.0 as staring and 40.0 gr as max using Reloader 7

Using the same manual for the 458 Win Mag they list 64.0 gr as a starting load and 67.0 gr as a maximum load using R-7.

Hornady Manual....

loads for the 45-70 in a Ruger#1

350 gr bullet starting load is 44.8 and max load is 55.5

***note*** the lighter bullet weight and the max for it

Now the 458 Win Mag and 350 gr bullet is as follows min with R-7 is 61.4 gr and max is 69.1

next would be using Nosler data for modern strong actions, the test rifle is again a #1

They only list a 300gr bullet but it's maximum load of Reloader 7 is53.0 grains.

and of course a handloader knows that with increase of bullet weight, the maximum charges will also be decrease

So with that said, you are way over any published loads I have seen but it's your nose peering over the cartridge rim on that #1.
I would certainly like to know what kind of pressure that load is running.

Just goes to show folks that they had better look in trusted published data before seeing one on the net and using them.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:37 AM

Thanks guys. I guess I'll try one out.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

"So with that said, you are way over any published loads I have seen but it's your nose peering over the cartridge rim on that #1.
I would certainly like to know what kind of pressure that load is running.
Just goes to show folks that they had better look in trusted published data before seeing one on the net and using them."

You are absolutely correct, especially about the danger involved in using any load in any gun inwhich that load was not specifically developed. Please note, I am NOT suggesting or recommending that anyone else try this load, especially not without the traditional work-up procedure we all go through for safety!!!

This load, and similar ones I developed years ago were all experiments under controlled loading conditions, and I used several of these rounds to see how much better the Limbsaver pad was vs the Ruger pad on the rifle I own that has the worst recoil!

The RE-7 load that I worked up in that Ruger No. 1 was done around 1982, using the RE-7 powder that was available then, (Hercules) and were I to use RE 7 again, I would go through the work-up procedure again, since the powder company is no longer Hercules, and I have no idea what TODAY'S RE 7 is like! This load was worked up AFTER I worked up a load using IMR 3031 with the same velocity goal in mind. I was never able to get as much performance out of 3031 before space in the case ran out.

When I worked up that load, I loaded 100 rounds of it, and have some of it left even today, as its' recoil is relatively horrendous, you can imagine I don't shoot many rounds of it-just enough to verify that the zero has not changed.

The load I use themost in my .45/70 is the old-time Keith load of 53 grains of IMR 3031 with the400-grain Speer flatnose.

I too would like to know what the pressure is. I know it is significant, as the cases do not come out of the rifle looking unfired, as some of the mild factory loads do! But as I mentioned, there is NO PRIMER POCKET STRETCHING that you can feel when seating a new primer,and to me, that is the first reliable sign that a reduction in thepowder charge is required.

Here's a group shot at 100 yards with that load. It's about as good as I can do resting the rifle on my left hand with my left index finger looped over the barrel to hold it on the bench......

Old 06-04-2007, 07:53 AM

I'll give another thumbs up for the simms.