Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Hunting with a lever gun >

Hunting with a lever gun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hunting with a lever gun

Old 05-18-2007, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunting with a lever gun

Send your rifle to a competant gun smith and remove that lawyer safety.IMO the safety was added only to keep the lawyer's out. Carry your rifle at half cock. Tom.

Why you want to invite the lawyers back in? Takes 1 full second to get your gun to shoot when you have the CBS on and the rifle on half cock with a round in the chamber. Why get rid of it? Its the safest gun to carry as you have two safeties on and yet you can still shootin a second. Its the only gun I feel safe still hunting with in steep, rocky and tangled terrain. Always scared with a bolt rifle that if I drop it with a round in the chamber its going off. Also, I had a 30-30 336 accidentally go off when the hammer extension got caught on some mountain laurel and got pulled back from half cock and released. I was tired and just trying to get out of a tangle of laurel and then it basically scared the hell out of me. Made me really think about what the hell I was doing and I only use the newer marlins now. the old 30-30 is now a safe gun. May in fact go sell it as I haven't even fired it in two years. Good luck with whatever you do butplease consider usingthe new safeties, they are there for a reason.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

Round in the chamber, hammer half cocked. My model 94 has no safety.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

My son has learned hunting with a Marlin 30-30. When walking, one in the chamber, safety on, and hammer in safe. When he is in the stand he can take the safety off but the hammer is not cocked. I'mnot worried about any lawyers just safe as possible. If you haven't hunted witha certainfirearm before then what is the risk in being overly safe?
Old 05-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't trust safeties. If I'm hunting, it's ready to go. If I'm not hunting, I disable it. Break action, I break it, bolt, I open the bolt, lever, push the lever down to open the action.

Old 05-20-2007, 02:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

"I have yet to ever touch the safty on a lever gun with a exposed hammer. I carry them loaded on half cock. I hate those darn safties, the most un needed thing ever added to a hammered lever gun."

My Savage model 24 o/u came with thatidiotic "safety." Missed a shot at the biggest gobbler ever when i called him in, cocked the gun and it snapped on the hammer block "safety."The safety got pushed on when i laid the gun down on its side in the grass. Removed the "safety" anddrove the heads of .30 Luger cases into the holes. End of problem.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Whether I carry locked and loaded depends on two things:A. Probability of immediate encounter with the game being pursued; B. The terrain.

If the terrain is not particularly difficult, and game is probably close by, I will carry locked and loaded. However, when traversing thick brush, climbing a mountain (up or down), or on steep terrain covered with stone or shale, I will carry an empty chamber, often wqith the rifle slung across my back so bth hands are free. If the rifle is a repeater, I will leave cartridges in the magazine. If it is a single-shot, I will carry it empty with a round quickly accessable.

I don't trust safeties. So when carrying a rifle with a round in the chamber and the safety on (or on half-cock), I have to be able to absolutely contro where the muzzle is pointing at all times! If the going gets so rough that I can't do this, I empty the chamber! A deer, elk, moose ot bear is not important enough to risk anyone's safety!
Old 05-21-2007, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I do not engage the safety on mine with an exposed hammer.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:20 AM
Typical Buck

for me, fully cocked with one in the chamber and safety on. i have a 336 and the safety is easy to get to if i need to fire.