Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Hunting with a lever gun >

Hunting with a lever gun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hunting with a lever gun

Old 05-16-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Hunting with a lever gun

Hey all,

I have a winchester 44 mag. lever gun with a cross receiver safety. How do all of you carry your guns while hunting? Are you chambered and cocked with safety on, safety off and chambered but not cocked, or full tube with safety offbut not chambered? I'm mostly deer hunting in thick woods so a quick shot may be needed.I've only sighted it in, so I hadn't given it much thought about field use til this weekend when I had it out of the cabinet.

Thanks,

KEJ
Old 05-16-2007, 07:09 PM

Default RE: Hunting with a lever gun

If im walking to a stand ill have it at half cock if it has that with a round in the chamber and a full tube. If im stalking i will have it fully loaded and cocked ready to go. With the safety on if it has one.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have one in the chamber with the safety off (if it has one) with the hammer in safe position. Easyand quickto pull back to firing position, and it's the safest way for me.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:56 PM

ORIGINAL: KonaBoy

I have one in the chamber with the safety off (if it has one) with the hammer in safe position. Easyand quickto pull back to firing position, and it's the safest way for me.
Ditto. I have never had a problem getting my gun shouldered and cocked quickly when I've needed to.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always have one in the pipe, if I'm on the move safety is on and its uncocked, if I'm on a stand safety is off but I won't cock it till I see a target.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have yet to ever touch the safty on a lever gun with a exposed hammer. I carry them loaded on half cock. I hate those darn safties, the most un needed thing ever added to a hammered lever gun.[:@]
Old 05-17-2007, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hate those darn safties, the most un needed thing ever added to a hammered lever gun.
I might have agreed with you a few years back, before a bunch of us where standing around and one of the guys lab/redbone cross dogs blasted thru the group and knocked a buddy on his ass, I looked down his barrel as he fell and the but of his gun hit a rock hard. I'm pretty sure the gun wouldn't have gone off, but I'm still glad that the ol thurty thurty was uncocked with the saftey on!
Old 05-17-2007, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: James B

I hate those darn safties, the most un needed thing ever added to a hammered lever gun.[:@]
I felt the same way until I bought my 336 SS with the CBS, and it is not nearly as "offensive" as I thought it would be. I installed a Wild West trigger and converted it from a pistol grip stock to a straight grip, and it is my new truck/atv/do-all gun. I can keep it fully loaded with the safety ON with no fear of an "accidental discharge".
Old 05-17-2007, 09:09 PM
Fork Horn

be careful carryin one with the hammer all the way forward. they can get caught on stuff and possiably go off. I carry my model 74 Win half cock with one in the hole. (NO SAFETY)
Old 05-17-2007, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Send your rifle to a competant gun smith and remove that lawyer safety. IMO the safety was added only to keep the lawyer's out. Carry your rifle at half cock. Tom.

Quick Reply: Hunting with a lever gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.