Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 First time out with my Savage .308 rifle! >

First time out with my Savage .308 rifle!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

First time out with my Savage .308 rifle!

Old 05-16-2007, 05:22 PM

Default RE: First time out with my Savage .308 rifle!

ORIGINAL: The Rifleman

Y'all forgot,
I never miss!

Gun's are made for killing, they aren't good for nothing else.

If you get some sick perverse pleasure from shooting a '06 at 25 yards - then you must not be much of a shot.

I believe that the longest known documented shot with a '06 was over2000 yards, which is more than a mile.
No, guns are made to fire projectiles at extremely high speed, hunting is just one of the many things you can do with a gun. You sir, are one of the most arrogant people I have ever seen on this forum, you seem to be an expert in your own mind, why don't you just take your elementary school attitude somewhere else, because nobody wants to put up with it here.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:22 PM
Fork Horn

I'll agree that shooting off the bench is the only way to see how well a gun shoots, but shooting ( practicing) in field positions is the only way to see how well you shoot. It is recommended that we practice shooting standing, kneeling, prone so that when the oportunity knocks we can answer the door. Keep up the good work and have fun doing it. Unless someones carrying a portable bench rest with them they better practice as you have too.

BTW I shoot off the bench to test new ammo or rerloads then I shoot standing off hand because that is the poition I plan on shooting my game from yardage varries depending on the gun ( some are scoped and intended for longer shots and some are open sights intended for close range work)
Old 05-16-2007, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

MM300 rides again...lmao.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

It may take more time and more ammo, but it's a more precise method because you are only concentrating on one axis at a time and it's easier to hold steady that way. Once you try it you will see what I mean.
I thank you too Paul, I have two 308s that I recently switched the scopes on so I need to re-sight both in, I'll try your method, it makes alot of sense.

As for the rifleman, ah forget it, not worth my time or energy to reply to him.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:11 AM
Typical Buck

I am going to have to change my ways I guess I have been going about shooting for the past 60+ years all wrong.I didn't know I was shooting for fun and was susposed to shoot only to kill something.I guess me and my shooting buddie is going to have to quit going to the range one day a week where we shoot around 200 bullets a day with 4 to 15 different rifles.Don't guess he knows he an't susposed to be shooting for fun (he don't hunt he just shoots)think I had better break the news to him next tuesday.Is he going to be disappointed I know he MUST have thought he was haveing fun.
Week before we were shooting clay birds at 300 yds with a 17 hmr all you fellows think we should try to glue all those birds back together and wipe the smile off our face???
Oh and I can be serious with a gun also I grew up pretty poor and was out hunting and putting game on the table at a very early age,and if I or my brothers came in with a squrrel that wasn't a head shot you better prepare for a butt chewing,(my dad was one hell of a shot)I have taken a lot of game over the years and amitt I have even missed some easy shots but just think if I hadn't had all that fun shooting tin cans,paper,bottles,match heads and etc how much wounded game would have been running around out there or died a slow painfull death.
My susgestion for you fun shooters is to wipe the smile off your face and keep shooting,now that I know you are only susposed to kill something,its going to be hard but I know you can do it.
Was going to say Have fun but don't guess I had better.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:55 AM
Typical Buck

Man I don't want to go practice at the range if it's not gonna be fun.