Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 First time out with my Savage .308 rifle! >

First time out with my Savage .308 rifle!

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

First time out with my Savage .308 rifle!

Old 05-14-2007, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default First time out with my Savage .308 rifle!

Hey guys...

Check this out... Over this past weekend, I finally went out to the outdoor rifle range with my new/used Savage 110 in .308 with the old Simmons 3-9x32 scope, and has a great time.

I warmed up at first with my Marlin 30-30 at 50 yards w/ open sights and was happy to hit the bullseye -scattered all around it- but I hit it every time. I don't have a bench rest or sandbags or anything. I just hold it propped up on my elbows at the rifle range bench.

Anyway, check out this scanned target.... This is my new/used Savage .308 from the bench at 50 yards as well. Again, I was just holding it, steady as best I could, propped up on my elbows. The first shot you see is on the far left. I adjusted the windage since I'm lefty and the previous owner must have been righty. Once I turned the turret a few clicks, I got it pretty close. After a few more shots and click turns, I got it really dialed in. {Okay, okay... I cheated a little. I was only shooting at 50 yards and had the Simmons scope maxed on 9X.}

I shot half the box of Winchester Powerpoints (hey, they were cheap) at 50 yards, and was amazed at the accuracy. So, then I saved the target (as seen here) and waited for the range to get clear, then went all the way back and hung another target at 100 yards. Wow, an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper (computer printed target) looks like a postage stamp at 100 yards!

Anyway, I didn't get a chance to grab the 100 yard target, because the range was starting to get full and, after a box of .30-30 rounds and a box of .308 rounds, my shoulder was starting to say "enough"....

I need to pick up some differenttypes of .308 rounds and go back and sight the Savage in at 100 yards instead of 50. And see which flavor of .308 ammo this Savage likes. What do you think? Maybe borrow a bench rest from a buddy and really sight in the rifle.

In a nutshell. The Savage .308 is a heck of a rifle! It has a more pronounced kick than the Marlin 30-30 (duh!) but the range and accuracy is amazing....

Butch A.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: First time out with my Savage .308 rifle!

You might try the 165 gr Fusion. My savage shoots them real good and they are designed for deer and light-skinned game.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:13 AM

I would have to recomend trying Winchester Balistic Silvertips. They have shot great out of most rifles ive put them in.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:19 AM

Technically, you only hit the bullseye one time.

Even then it was only half way in the center of the bullseye.

I had a cousin that had a JC Higgins .410 shotgun with open sights that could do better than that at 100 yards.

Now - in my opinion you just wasted a box or two of shells.

Why?

Because you did not make any effort to properly sight in your rifle.

Mostly all you did was make some noise and shoot at a piece of computer paper.

Where I live, the beer distributers give out 100 yard large rifle targets before deer season - along with a bunch of buisnesses.

What does a target cost? $.25!

What does a bag of play sand cost at Dollar General Store? $3.00

You could have bought a couple of Hefty Big Bags or even sewn two blue jeans pants legs and filled them with sand and had your own sand bags for less than $5.00

Even your dirty laundry in a garbage bag would have been better than nothing at all.

Plus - you did not use seperate targets for your 30 - 30 and your 308 so there is no way to know which shots were with the 30 - 30 and which was with the .308.

So what are you trying to show us? How good you can shoot?
Old 05-14-2007, 10:10 AM

someones a little grumpy today huh? Mr. Rifleman cant be proud for anyone...
Old 05-14-2007, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jesus Christ.... Remind me not to post anything about targets and rifle shooting.... [:'(][&o]

Rifleman, I shot my old .30-30 first ON A TOTALLY DIFFERENT TARGET. The results you see that I scanned is the Savage .308 ONLY.

Lastly, lighten up a bit huh? [&:]

Butch A.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:51 AM
Typical Buck

Lucas McCain (The Rifleman)

Was a little harsh in his delivery but does make some valid points.

The idea of "sighting in" is to test the accuracy of the gun and not the shooter and to adjust the sights so the "point of impact" (where the bullets are hitting the target) is where you want it. Also when trying to evaluate what type of ammunition will shoot best from your rifle.

Evey effort must be made to eliminate "opperator error".

Now if the shooter just wants to see if he could kill a deer at 50 yards (from a steady position) with his new (used) rifle, then we can all see that the target shows the answer to that.

ButchA, What has our Lord Jesus Christ have to do with your target and shooting?????

Robin in Rocky

Old 05-14-2007, 10:52 AM

for shooting from the elbows that's an acceptable group in my opinion. i'd be satisfied.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Duffy
ButchA, What has our Lord Jesus Christ have to do with your target and shooting?????
Sorry, Duffy... I just lost my cool there... [>:]

I was just trying out my new/used Savage .308 to see what it felt like, what it could do, it's particular characteristics compared to my old Marlin 30-30.

I don't own a real rifle bench rest or device. I just went to the range and "winged it" to see what the .308 would do by just holding it up on my elbows.

Butch A.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Butch, You said it all in the first line. You had a great time. Is that not what shooting and hunting is all about? The guys that criticize your post are the same ones that probably raise holy hell if you challenge theirways and beliefs. Like you, if I want to go WASTE a box of shells, thats my own D*#N business. If you had a good time then it was sure no waste.

Quick Reply: First time out with my Savage .308 rifle!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.